Hatching Muscovy X Khaki crosses, need help!

Thank you! They all seem healthy except one is having a hard time holding it's head up. It's kind lays to the side. Could that be wry neck? I have liquid vitamin e but I have no idea how much to give or how. And I have brewers yeast but it might be too old, it was from when their dad was a chick and having trouble walking...

Yeah, I wouldn't use that yeast...but don't panic, Wobbles was just as weak when he came out of the shell. I gave him a bit of crushed B vitamins and sugar in warm water and he perked right up!

Yeah, I wouldn't use that yeast...but don't panic, Wobbles was just as weak when he came out of the shell. I gave him a bit of crushed B vitamins and sugar in warm water and he perked right up!
Ok, I'll have to go to the store for the vitamins. It's been walking in circles and all the other ducks are trampling it so I think I'm going to set up another brooder. On a lighter note, Here is a picture of all the ducklings (except the weak one);

Hm, that's not a good sign...it might actually be wry neck. When he does walk is his head at an angle? If so then yeah, give him vitamin E and niacin. Hopefully with due diligence it will straighten out.

Hm, that's not a good sign...it might actually be wry neck. When he does walk is his head at an angle? If so then yeah, give him vitamin E and niacin. Hopefully with due diligence it will straighten out.
Yea, walks in circles cause thats the way its head is facing. Any idea for dosage for the vit e? And how should I give it? I gave them some scrambled eggs and it tried to eat some but it's hard to get it's attention. It's drinking water so that's good. I'm going to put some electrolytes in there to give it a boost...

Oh, lordy, Kath...that's upsetting to see. :/ I didn't know you gave your fuzzbutts to UC Davis to analyze, that's rather handy. That's where my friend went to college, as well! I just wonder how on earth E. Coli got into the egg? Was it pooped on?

As for you Mira, the rule of thumb is crushing one B complex pill (you can use straight-up niacin but I like the B-complex since it offers multiple nutrients) into a gallon of water. You can scale up or down however you see fit. With the vitamin E, you can just get the capsules, poke a hole in one and let him nibble on the oil. You can't overdose on vitamin E, so just use common sense and it should be fine.

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]This was not wry neck.[/COLOR] Poor guy :( this ones neck isn't that bad. It can still pick his head up, just can't keep it in the right position for long. And it's pretty active (even if it's just doing circles, that's better than not moving!) And I read that the crested birds are more prone to wry neck and this one does have a crest... [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The UD Davis necropsy found an e. Coli yolk sac infection.[/COLOR]

Whoops, don't know what I did there. Here's what I wrote:  
Poor guy :( this ones neck isn't that bad. It can still pick his head up, just can't keep it in the right position for long. And it's pretty active (even if it's just doing circles, that's better than not moving!) And I read that the crested birds are more prone to wry neck and this one does have a crest...

Oh, is he crested? Poor thing...just one of the many plights of crested ducks. :/ That means that the issue could be neurological. You should still give him the B and E vitamins since it will still help if it is a bone or muscle problem, and at the very least it'll help the lil' guy feel better.

Back
Top Bottom