Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

{{repost from another thread}}

I must admit, I put some in early monday morning

8 -- Blue Sumatra Roo X NN
10 -- Blue Sumatra Roo X Sultan Hen
6 -- Arstrolorp

My DW wanted a new arstrolorp before we got rid of that pair and so we had to set some of those, I had the others and though, what the heck, lets see what comes from these.

....chicken count is rising...........(so approx., I can't keep track this year) 30 in the brooder, 35 Juveniles, 22 hens, 3 roo's? ....I have a feeling it's actually more than this

One of my eggs broke and smelled horrible so i threw it out.
hmm.png
So now i have 13 left.
fl.gif

Quote:
Ohhh, I hope 13 is now your lucky number for hatching!
wink.png

So far, our 32 eggs are doing well (did I mention that is my lucky number? No really, it is.) Temps just aren't even, depending on what thermometer you're looking at. I'm choosing to think its okay, as long as its not over the 100/101. Most often temps are 100/98/98 as a whole over the three thermometers. My humidity swings wildly between 32/55/66%. I keep having to take out water, put in water, move water around. I'll get it just right and then it will change. Right now i have a jar in there with a wet sponge, but not water and I've got 38%. Might just drizzle a bit of water on it to bring it up in the 40's and i'll be happy.

It's our 4 1/2 day so I won't probably candle until 7 days and then again at 18. I'm not really wanting to candle at all but with a full incubator of 32 eggs, if a few go rotten, we've got trouble. Don't want a big explosion.
lol.png

So very glad so many people are setting eggs and choose to join me this time around. Maybe you all will bring me good luck! Thanks so much. Keep sharing. I love hearing about your wittle egg babies!

I candled today. Veining in 4/4 cochins, and 12/20 guineas. Other 8 nothing. Then the eggs are so slippery and I was clumsy today, I accidently dropped one with veining, not a long fall and on the carpet so hopefully it will be O.K.
he.gif

I don't have any eggs set at the moment. Infact I cleaned on my 3 incubators this evening..BUT I do have at least 3 packages of eggs coming in the mail very soon so I should be able to join you quite shorty!
smile.png

Meanwhile, I do have a broody Light Sussex hen setting on a Sussex egg, and 4 Serama eggs due to hatch 8/17.
big_smile.png

~ Aspen

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I candled this evening. I know, too soon. But we did see 6 maybe 8 with definite eyes/spider veins, so that was exciting! One strange thing. We saw one egg completely black. I don't mean partially or with an air pocket. COMPLETELY BLACK inside. Does that mean it was an egg that might have already been incubated by a broody hen? Didn't see any movement and we're keeping the humidity lower than the hatching level required so I'm thinking nothing will become of it. But its just a weird thing!

Anyway, dd and are over the moon seeing the spider veins. So exciting. Never knew i could get excited about something like spider veins! lol

Quote:
I candled some of mine this morning. I candled them right in the egg turner...no chance of dropping them this way. I have a staggered batch so I only candled a few as the oldest ones are only 4 days. I have 4/6 Millie Fluer D'Uncles developing, I only candled a few of my Bantam Cochins but they are developing as well. I'll candle them all on Monday and see what we have going on.

Back
Top Bottom