Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
You must let me know what your RIR x Golden Buff eggs turn out to look like. As I have a RIR roo and a Golden Buff hen I'd like to cross together.
smile.png

~ Aspen

I will post pix if we get any fuzzies this time around!!​

Quote:
You must let me know what your RIR x Golden Buff eggs turn out to look like. As I have a RIR roo and a Golden Buff hen I'd like to cross together.
smile.png

~ Aspen

I will post pix if we get any fuzzies this time around!!

Hope you get a good hatch!!
big_smile.png
fl.gif

~ Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
I will post pix if we get any fuzzies this time around!!

Hope you get a good hatch!!
big_smile.png
fl.gif

~ Aspen​

Thank you!! Me too!
jumpy.gif

Sorry you dropped one, Destin. I'm glad it didn't break!

I candled two of the eggs that I put in the 'bator and saw veining in them. It's so hard to see in these dark eggs!!! I am very glad that they are developing. I was a little worried about them after their rough beginning (one night half-under broody, one day and night in an empty nest, then the brooder).

I'm tempted to check all of my broody's eggs but I really should wait a few more days. These BCM eggs are tough to candle and I don't want to accidentally throw a good one out. Poor Lacey may end up with more chicks that she knows what to do with!!

In other news, I went to collect eggs yesterday and that stinkin' (literally) rat snake was back in the coop, sitting in a nest and had eaten 5 eggs! I'd relocated him once before and I swear he must have been the one to eat 3 of my chicks last hatch. So it was time for him to die. I'm not sure how DH has managed to cut off their heads with the shovel, because that wasn't working for me at all. Mr. Snake just let off a rank odor and regurgitated all the eggs.
sickbyc.gif

I ended up having to pick him up, put him in a bag and bludgeon him with a splitting maul. At least my mom was visiting and was able to bring me "weapons" so the snake didn't get away. Poor Lacey was such a trooper though all the action. I'm glad Mr. Snake didn't try to take her eggs.

Then it was off to a friend's to pick chanterelle mushrooms for dinner. What a treat!

I haven't candled yet, figured I would wait until day 10 if I can BUT there was something stinky in there!!! ARGH! Ick and YUCK!!!!!!!!! My first rotten egg that was oozing out it's pores. Whoa man did that ever stink! It was superglued to the foam inserts in the bator. Nasty stuff but now it's gone bye-bye. No more other nasty smells in there so I think we're good. I'm still going to try to wait though. I don't have a very good light to use so I think I'll wait until I can see something more pronounced
hmm.png
I think I need to get a candeling light.
roll.png

Last edited:
Sooo...I candled and had to toss 2 "mystery" eggs, supposed to be game, but I dunno? So that leaves me with 10 of those and all 7 of my blue crossed with buff purebred bantam cochin eggs are positive for development!

I also have some other eggs in with these that are due on 08/19 that are possible silkie X cochin or a few purebred cochin (had my hens with two roosters) and some purebred polish due the next day. I have a separate incubator for hatching. Of the polish, I have one that is cracked but the chick is alive inside so I have glued the crack shut. Had great success with doing this in the past. All are developing nicely!
celebrate.gif

Oh and I am picking up two dozen buff orphington hatching eggs tomorrow!
wee.gif

I candled my eggs last night. Well, tried to at least. The shell is the same color as the veins at this point and makes them impossible to see. I definitely saw veins in one (the one with the lightest shell). I think 2 of those under my broody had blood rings. I took them from Lacey and put them in the bator to keep an eye on them for a few days just to be sure.

Wish I could have seen more.

I got rid of 8 eggs today that still had no veining. And I have 12 moving guineas and 4 moving cochins!
ya.gif

I'm crossing my fingers for you tiss!! Good luck everyone, I'm glad everyone is seeing something in their eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom