Hatching Party! Wanna Join?! Set 8/7, Hatching 8/27!!

Just candled mine too....also on day 10. 4 are duds :-( but 4 are for sure growing, and the other 4 I can't tell for sure...I didn't want to have them out of the bator for too long to study on them, so I will probably wait 2 or 3 more days and check again.I love hatching babies!!!

Okay, this is my first time ever incubating. And, if you'll recall, I have the first two eggs ever laid here in there, and nine from my neighbor down the road who has heee-yoooge Buff Orpingtons.

The two laid here are from a silver laced wyandotte - purely a hatchery quality girl, and she and her sisters had been housed with a couple of white roosters (one a leghorn, and the other a ... erm ... white rooster). I bought them and brought them home and three days later I had two eggs, so I ran up the road to the BO house and tried to buy some from my friend, who refused to sell me any but sent me home with a shirttail full of nine eggs.

They have about fifteen adult hens and one adult rooster in a huge tractor that they pull around their yard, and a bunch of five month olds or so. Oh, and two turkeys. So I figured that my odds of getting eggs that were actually fertile from them were not so great, unless that rooster was really gettin' busy.

But, I candled tonight, and I saw actual active movement in both my wyandotte mix eggs, and definitely in two of the BO eggs. There were a few of the BO eggs that were either too dark or maybe too porous to see through well, and I ... well, I didn't toss any eggs. Nothing smells bad, and the inside of my incubator has been coated with latex caulk just in case anyway, so I put them all back.

I also saw - well, on one of them, it looked really clear and I could see shadowing that had to be yolk, and I could see the air sac, and I think I could see a bit of veining. But, no movement.

On another, there was a band around the egg that I thought was a line, and I was trying to decide if that was blood ring - then I saw movement. So, maybe not. I don't know.

I'm so obviously not an expert here. But horribly excited about my wyandotte babies!

Oh - and I'm also apparently now a chicken nerd. I uploaded video to youtube . <ugh>

lau.gif
Welcome to Chicken Addicts Anonymous!!!

I'm so glad that your eggs are doing well! I'm trying to resist the urge to candle again today. It's day 11, but I'm trying to wait until day 12. Maybe someone should hide my flashlight....

Quote:
I hear that. I'm going away for 4 days and I'm sooooo glad as I can't stop looking at the eggs as well. I read somewhere that you can candle them right in the turner so that's what I have been doing so I don't disturb them too much but still. So hard to resist looking at them dancing around, it's so amazing.

Well, nobody took my flashlight, and you know how it is.....so I candled again....and they were far enough along to tell (mostly).

I had to throw out 7 which was to be expected with the heat and the fiasco getting them set. I let my boys throw them at trees.

Seven are good- I put those under Lacey- and 4 were iffy. I'm guessing they probably aren't good, but I had enough doubt to leave them in the 'bator for another couple of days.

It's a little disappointing since my last hatch, 9/12 were good at this stage and I ended up hatching 7 chicks. Wish Lacey luck on these 7!

thumbsup.gif
Good luck, lacey!

I haven't had to remove anymore...yet...

And I have 18 eggs in lockdown at the moment...7 (hopefully) purebred cochins (my silkie and cochin lay nearly identical eggs so I hope I have incubated just the cochin because the roo is a cochin and while I love my silkie, I want purebreds for once lol), 2 silkieXpolish (may be frizzled) and the most coveted: 9 purebred polish in an assortment of colors.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif

Gosh, Lacey is a hopeless mama. Every morning, eggs get scattered as other hens lay with her and she never gets them all back under her!
This morning there were 2 laying about cold. Poor baby eggs!

Finally got my package of eggs in the mail this morning. One egg was cracked, another one had rotted!
sickbyc.gif

I have 14 eggs that I will be setting later on this evening. I know I have a few Bantam Polish, and a few Lavender silkies, but after that???
idunno.gif

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom