Hatching Percentages on SHIPPED Eggs.

Zero, 10% - power failure, 100% - turkeys even, 50%, 5% - temp spike Marans of course, 60%, 90%, 80%, Zero, 90%.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Both Zeroes had frankly cracked or broken eggs in the shipping box indicating Postal Gorilla Tactics.

I'd figure an average of 50-70% without mishap. But the higher percents happen if you get the hang of things and get lucky.

Yes, some sellers will send you bad/poor eggs. I had one batch like that. It's rare. And now mostly I deal with people I've been referred to by others. And I get good results.

Shipping is hard on eggs, if your luck doesn't hold you get POSTAL GORILLA handling and then you are screwed. And it's hard to salvage that group of eggs.

Ebay is going to be a risk - when in doubt ASK here. Someone will have purchased eggs from them. Probably several someones. Check feedback on BYC sellers, or ask.

The answers are out there. You can learn not to get burned most of the time.

But don't expect 100% and do expect postal gorillas and total loses and you'll kind of even out over time.

I get about 10% on shipped eggs. I always put in some of my own as test eggs to be sure it isn't bator problems.
Most of my shipped eggs arrive completely full of big bubbles, and never develop at all.
somad.gif

I've only ever ordered 2 shipments of hatching eggs. One shipment just hatched, the other is still perking.
smile.png

I use broody hens for incubators, so my experience may not be what you are looking for, but here goes.

The first batch were Welsummers. They came from a fellow BYC'er, bargain in Georgia. The packaging was so good that it was insane! I got 9 chicks out of 12 eggs. So, a 75% hatch rate. I'm very pleased.

The second batch (from a non-BYC seller) is on Day 11, and they are Welsummer eggs again, so candling has been spectacularly unsuccessful... I'll just have to wait and see on them.

I've had everything from 0 out of 18 to 11 of 13. Right now I've got some in the bator. I was sent 17, had one clear and one blood ring. The 15 remaining are still going strong.

Well, at first I was getting about 30%, lately I am doing much better for some reason and it is more like 50%. I try not to get eggs from too far away or too close(for some reason too close does not work either) and I am buying from people I have gotten to know on the board or more expensive eggs. Seems to be working.

This summer's shipped egg hatches, ignoring the first two which I think had more to do with having them shipping in July!

12 eggs were ordered, 17 Eggs Arrived, 9 were broken, 8 went into the bator, 1 stuck to the rails and was sacrificed. So, out of 7, 1 hatched.

6 replacement eggs arrived with better packing, 4 hatched

6 eggs were ordered, 8 eggs arrived, 6 eggs hatched

12 eggs ordered, 14 arrived, 4 hatched.

36 eggs were ordered, 43 arrived, 1 was discarded for weeping, several others were discarded for weeping during incubation, 1 chick hatched, 10 eggs exploded a few days later.

With every one of the egg shipments, except where noted and one of the shipments I received in July, the packing has been beyond reproach. I believe that the last shipper noted sent me old eggs due to the amount that were discarded for weeping (Out of the 43, 11 made it into the hatching incubator). I reordered from one of the sellers because I was so happy with the hatch rate.

I am not convinced that post office handling had as much to do with it as the distance travelled (that is, the time spent) in the heat.

Edit: This was all eBay. I am recently getting eggs from the board. One shipper is close, but I haven't hatched ducks before and the other is a couple of states away. But the weather is cooler, so I'm hopeful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom