Hatching problem - please help!

Pics
Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I said I would never try this again and now I see why. I have 12 eggs in lock down. The first one has pipped and while at first I was hopeful, now the shell has broken away but the membrane hasn’t broke from what I can tell. It is also yellow. The pip probably happened around noon today. About 4 hours ago. Worried sick because I followed the sticky incubation guide here exactly and went with a dry incubation, monitoring weight closely at a humidity of 25% throughout. Eggs have lost the correct amount of weight. Now I’m reading those humidity levels will shrink wrap them! What to trust?? Humidity is now 70%. Please help. 😢

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpeg
    IMG_2356.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 67
From what I understand, dry incubation only applies to the first stage - that is, before lockdown. After lockdown the humidity should be consistently high.

The tan membrane you're seeing is the membrane drying out (it should be white from pip to unzip to hatch) meaning the humidity was too dry during hatch. The baby therefore MAY need assistance to hatch. There are lots of good threads on this already so I won't go into detail here.

The most important thing is to be patient. It is so easy to injure/kill a baby when you assist in hatching so the baby should be allowed to break free on its own as much as possible. The time from pip to unzip can sometimes be as high as 24 hours.

From what I understand, dry incubation only applies to the first stage - that is, before lockdown. After lockdown the humidity should be consistently high.

The tan membrane you're seeing is the membrane drying out (it should be white from pip to unzip to hatch) meaning the humidity was too dry during hatch. The baby therefore MAY need assistance to hatch. There are lots of good threads on this already so I won't go into detail here.

The most important thing is to be patient. It is so easy to injure/kill a baby when you assist in hatching so the baby should be allowed to break free on its own as much as possible. The time from pip to unzip can sometimes be as high as 24 hours.
I increased the humidity to 70% 3 days prior to the egg pipping. This particular egg has been in much higher humidity even longer because it was only a gram away from the high end of weight loss.

I'd put some coconut oil on that part that is brown. Is the gosling pushing on the membrane can you see the bill poking out at all when it's working on hatching?

@Iain Utah
@Quatie
@Goosebaby {you get called on so much wasn't sure if i should]
I can see the part with a crack on it being pushed on and the chick is making a lot of noise. But I cannot see a bill since it is covered with shell. Why does she have to make it so hard? The reason I’m afraid to open the incubator is because the crack is really large and the membrane is probably exposed underneath where I wouldn’t be able to reach to apply coconut oil. I circled with blue the area I will not be able to put coconut oil. I circled with red the crack I see being pushed on.
67A39C4A-1A06-4EA8-8F0C-A92BD7130EAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I can see the part with a crack on it being pushed on and the chick is making a lot of noise. The reason I’m afraid to open the incubator is because the crack is really large and the membrane is probably exposed underneath where I wouldn’t be able to reach to apply coconut oil. I circled with blue the area I will not be able to put coconut oil. I circled with red the crack I see being pushed on. View attachment 3516686
Are you able to open the lid a little to get your hand in and a Q tip with oil on it yo rub on that area ?
I have a little giant bator and I’m able to lift the lid just enough for my hand to get in

Back
Top Bottom