Hatching shipped eggs upright

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
I’d love to hear from people who have gone the route of hatching shipped eggs with questionable air cells upright in an egg carton. For some reason it makes me nervous, but I have some Marans eggs that don’t have perfect air cells and I’m scared to turn them on their sides for lockdown. What would you do and why?

I would turn them.
IMHO, turning eggs is much more important than preserving a perfect air cell. No matter how long you keep them upright, if there is a ruptured inner membrane, you aren't going to repair it by keeping them erect. Turning is most critical during the first 12 to 14 days and by keeping them upright, you are dipping into that valuable time.

Turning during the first 2 weeks is essential for development of the amnionic and chorion--allantois membranes that is critical to nurturing the growing embryo. The air cell isn't essential till pipping. If the future chick doesn't make it that far, it doesn't matter.
Perhaps read through the following information.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

Last edited:
I would turn them.
IMHO, turning eggs is much more important than preserving a perfect air cell. No matter how long you keep them upright, if there is a ruptured inner membrane, you aren't going to repair it by keeping them erect. Turning is most critical during the first 12 to 14 days and by keeping them upright, you are dipping into that valuable time.

Turning during the first 2 weeks is essential for development of the amnionic and chorion--allantois membranes that is critical to nurturing the growing embryo. The air cell isn't essential till pipping. If the future chick doesn't make it that far, it doesn't matter.
Perhaps read through the following information.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turning

Oh yes, I’m turning the eggs from side to side in the upright position. I’m just not sure if I should hatch them upright like that, as some articles on hatching shipped eggs would suggest. Or, if I should lay them down on their sides at Lockdown.

I would just lay them on their sides. I had some really questionable shipped quail egg air cells and I layed them on their sides. I had a 90 percent hatch rate. The air cells looked great at the end. The only reason I lost a couple was because they were damaged from shipping. I think it's more natural and tipping the carton isn't as efficient as actually rolling the eggs. Just my opinion.

I would just lay them on their sides. I had some really questionable shipped quail egg air cells and I layed them on their sides. I had a 90 percent hatch rate. The air cells looked great at the end. The only reason I lost a couple was because they were damaged from shipping. I think it's more natural and tipping the carton isn't as efficient as actually rolling the eggs. Just my opinion.

Ah interesting! Gosh, I’d love to throw my auto turner in and just lay them on their sides now... that’s awesome you had a good hatch rate. Hmmmm I may go ahead and do that.

Do what you feel is best, but I would do that. I don't think sitting them upright really does much. The air cells will reattach either way if they're detached. Having the auto turner helps too. Its a lot of work to turn them manually especially if you have over a dozen eggs. I treated mine just like any other eggs. I nail polish patched the couple dented ones, threw out the really damaged ones, marked air cells and numbered eggs, ran the incubator for an hour to get it going and then I put them in. My hatch was great. They all hatched on the same day too. My air cells all looked great at lockdown. Keep us posted on how they do! :fl for a great hatch!

Do what you feel is best, but I would do that. I don't think sitting them upright really does much. The air cells will reattach either way if they're detached. Having the auto turner helps too. Its a lot of work to turn them manually especially if you have over a dozen eggs. I treated mine just like any other eggs. I nail polish patched the couple dented ones, threw out the really damaged ones, marked air cells and numbered eggs, ran the incubator for an hour to get it going and then I put them in. My hatch was great. They all hatched on the same day too. My air cells all looked great at lockdown. Keep us posted on how they do! :fl for a great hatch!

I think I’m going to do that. I’m running out of steam turning them 3 times a day lol

Back
Top Bottom