Hatching shipped eggs

I'm hoping to get some shipped eggs this year! I'm easing my husband back into chickens! We got ducks as a surprise so I'm getting a few chicks then sneaking the incubator back out of storage little at a time lol last time I went chicken crazy I had some for eggs some for meat some because they were pretty some because well just because lol in the end I had roughly 80 grown and chicks hatching every time he turned around lol I got so many eggs in the mail that my mail lady got to know me very well she's always ask what kind this time!

I incubate shipped eggs most of the time, chicken, not goose, but I expect the 'rules' are pretty much the same. The USPS are not kind to eggs, especially if the shipper did not clearly mark the box as to the contents and that they are EXTRA FRAGILE. There is a pretty good chance that your air cells may have become detached. Allow at least 24 hours before you incubate to allow those air cells to settle down. When you initially put the eggs in your bator, dont turn them for another 24 -48 hours and then begin the turning schedule. If possible, incubate them upright, this also helps keep the air cells where they belong. You can candle the eggs before incubation to see what condition the air cells are in. Good luck with your hatch.:fl

I incubate shipped eggs most of the time, chicken, not goose, but I expect the 'rules' are pretty much the same. The USPS are not kind to eggs, especially if the shipper did not clearly mark the box as to the contents and that they are EXTRA FRAGILE. There is a pretty good chance that your air cells may have become detached. Allow at least 24 hours before you incubate to allow those air cells to settle down. When you initially put the eggs in your bator, dont turn them for another 24 -48 hours and then begin the turning schedule. If possible, incubate them upright, this also helps keep the air cells where they belong. You can candle the eggs before incubation to see what condition the air cells are in. Good luck with your hatch.:fl
I candled them right after unpacking them (because I'm patient haha). The air cells look good. I was pleasantly surprised. We've had live animals shipped to us before and they always arrive in good shape. I seem to have really good luck with gentle mail handling...at least here, anyway. Where I used to live, boxes would always arrive looking like they were shipped in a cage with an angry hippopotamus.

I candled them right after unpacking them (because I'm patient haha). The air cells look good. I was pleasantly surprised. We've had live animals shipped to us before and they always arrive in good shape. I seem to have really good luck with gentle mail handling...at least here, anyway. Where I used to live, boxes would always arrive looking like they were shipped in a cage with an angry hippopotamus.

Haha patient and an angry hippopotamus, ahem anyway, its great to hear that the eggs look good , hope they hatch!

Well darn I did everything wrong then. Got my shipped eggs yesterday (they arrived beautifully packed and perfect -- 12 Isbar eggs), unpacked them straight into the bator after dinner and have turned them promptly q 8 hrs since. Oh well. I'll just tell myself they sat for hours at the PO "resting" before I got them...We'll see. At least I won't candle until d7...

Well darn I did everything wrong then. Got my shipped eggs yesterday (they arrived beautifully packed and perfect -- 12 Isbar eggs), unpacked them straight into the bator after dinner and have turned them promptly q 8 hrs since. Oh well. I'll just tell myself they sat for hours at the PO "resting" before I got them...We'll see. At least I won't candle until d7...
I've seen tons of contradicting info online....different people seem to have experienced the best hatch rates by doing different things. So it's possible that'll just happen to work best for you.

No, dont beat yourself up! Yes, it helps to allow them to rest and reorient themselves but lots of folks here dont and have perfectly fine hatches. Good luck with yours and please let us know how you do!

Once you get them check air cells make sure they are not rolling from one end to the other (as those will be hard to hatch if at all) leave them at lest 24 hrs I have left some really bad ones recently to rest about 3 days they are about 10 days in and out of 6 five are going strong and the cells look stable. I also have some naked neck hatching eggs due to go to lock down this sunday out of 12 I still have 10 growing (I checked them today) 2 of them have bad saddling but the chick is ok from what I can see.

I ended up buying a made in china unbranded 48 egg bator (loveingly named the risk bator) it keeps temp well but what I like it the up right auto turn tray in it with out that I don't think the really messed up air cell ones would be doing half as good! I wish you luck in your hatch.. warning tho it's addictive and ppl here will encourage that addtiction ;)

Back
Top Bottom