Hatching silkie chickens

xlpaulalx

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 10, 2015
I have my incubator ready and my eggs get delivered tomorrow, any advice on incubating my eggs would be appreciated because when I have Googled hatching silkie eggs I am getting loads of different advice this is my first time hatching and am really excited but do not want to do it wrong, it temp and humidity are all different on different sights

Temp depends on what incubator you're using. Still air is generally kept warmer than forced air, because the air is not circulating and there will be warm and cold spots in the incubator.

Your needed humidity can be influenced by what altitude you're at, but I'm unclear on that one. There's a very good incubation site, let me find it...

EDT: Here

Candle them once you get them then let them settle fat end up for 12-24 hours. Once you put them in the incubator don’t turn them for 3 days. Air cells can get wonky and this may help them a bit.

Lay them on their sides for lockdown. I lost 3/5 chicks having them in the turner because of malposition.

I usually keep my incubator at around 99.5 F, it works well for me. Candle at day 5, day 12, and right before lockdown. Take out any clear eggs or eggs with bloodrings. When you start turning them (not for the first three days, as stated above), do it three times a day minimum. And during lockdown, don't open the incubator unless something goes wrong and you need to assist. It can be really tempting, especially after chicks hatch, but be patient. You especially don't want to open it when a chick is pipping, it will loose humidity and the membrane will dry out, making it harder for the chick to hatch. Chicks can stay in the incubator for up to 3 days; they have enough nutrition from their egg yolk, and the controlled temperature is good for them. Don't take them out until they are dry, either. That's kind of the basics. Good luck! :fl:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom