hatching test, anyone want to try the round egg vs pointy egg????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zatsdeb, Aug 9, 2009.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I am going to do the test, the old timers that say round eggs are hens, and pointy eggs are roosters, I did it with some guinea eggs I was hatching I put chicken eggs in with them, I thought I had all round brown, and had 10, and 8 hatched.. they all seem to look like hens to me but they are all hatched on the 4th of august. I am going to set some more today, I have a bunch of round eggs and I am going to do the test!!!!!!
    Just thought it would be fun, my DH is relaxing on letting me hatch, since we have hatched 3 rounds of guineas!!! Gee...I have about 50 now!!!! 3 different stages!
    so.....
    I am putting everything in, including the black polish and the white sultan!!
    [​IMG]
    these are my latest chicks, and guinea keets....the only one I hope is a rooster is the polish! My polish rooster is mean and old....!!!! and this is my big birdcage we got at a sale for $15.00!!! DH doesn't mind it in the house!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Only $15?!?! What a deal! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    so, how do you know how to set a round egg?

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:I was just trying to put them in the turner and after 3 bad hatches I realized the turner was not working right!!! So... Now I have the incubator in my master bathroom, I just layed them in there without a turner and turn them when I go to bed, and turn them when I get up in the morning, I had an almost perfect hatch!! the ones that didn't hatch I candled and were not fertile!

5. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I won some eggs in a farm name contest.I have never hatched eggs! Now I am trying to decide if I will take them. Does anyone have some ideas? I am not ready to hatch eggs yet. I would like to try it, I think it would be fun. It is a trip just raising babies, so I am sure it must be really special to hatch them. OMG! What to do???
    How hard is it? I know Humidity is really important, and I live in the Desert. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

99.9% of my Marans eggs are equally rounded on both ends so that means that I should pretty much only hatch hens.....that hasn't happened yet. I generally hatch more roos than pullets.

7. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:I know most of my barred rock eggs are round too, I am looking at them close and trying to find the roundest ones. some look completely round but next to another egg sometimes it looks like a pointy.. but then again could be my imagination!! I am going to try anyways! I always hatched and didn't check the eggs, its something an old timer told my DH at a sale, he was looking for a rooster cause he does that round egg hatch and always gets hens.
    thought it would be fun to try at least!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Post your results...I've seen quite a few people who've been going to do the same thing, but then I've never seen any results posted.

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i saved a weeks worth of eggs, 54 i set 42 that i thought were the roundest. 36 hatched 35 lived and so far i think there is only one rooster. time well tell when they get older. i also was told buy a old timer that pointed eggs were roosters and the round ones were hens.

10. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I picked my hen's roundest 7 eggs. I ended up with 6 hatching 4 boys and 2 girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: