Hatching via broody better

I saw that roosters hatched under a hen A: are less rapey and B: employ mating behaviors instead. Go figure.

Stronger, I really doubt one way is any better unless you don't know what you are doing with your incubator.

Easier, yeah because the momma does all the work for you

As for young roos being less aggressive, any roo raised around older hens is like that. An older hen or older flock of hens will keep him in check while he is young. I'll say hand raised chickens are more like a lap pet compared to letting mother nature do her job. I raise farm animals so that isn't a trait I really care about. I just got my incubator last year so I've raised equal amounts so far each way.

Stronger? No.
Though broody hens are definitely better hatchers than any man made incubator.
I purchased 15 Serama eggs from a breeder in Florida, and placed 8 (the more damaged ones) and 7 in my incubator. By day 5, 5 of the eggs had quit. This may be because of my incubator location, but not the point. All of Sunny's eggs were doing fantastic, even one I moved from my bator to her because it seemed to have weak veins.
On day 21, Sunny hatched 6 chicks. I hatched 1. My bad hatch may have been because of my incubator location, but even with shipped, damaged eggs, Sunny got more than a 50% hatch rate. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom