Hatching with 2 broodies

@ItalyChickie I went out and picked up my little black girl. Her comb area is totally flat but it is light so it stands out. That picture makes it look like it is WAY more than it is whew....

@Teila Cilla seems to perhaps have other ideas hmmmmm???

If I have to separate the broody pen it will be no problem...I know you are all relieved right, you were all on pins and needles wondering if the Taylor sisters would be able to share the same space without sibling rivalry destroying family harmony and if I would be able to intercede appropriately. Relax folks all will be well
wink.png
tune in tomorrow for the next installment of The Coops and the Cockerels

How did you give the broody the chicks? At night? How long had they been sitting for, ive never tried this and wanted to but not sure whats best.

Yay for broodies again

Teila if you want i can post you some hatching eggs we are getting plenty, and the temperature is around 37.5 now after a bit of reading around, and lethal temp is 39.4... We were at 40 for 2 batches :rolleyes:

Edit, that offer stands for anytime. You can get Orpingtons, or Orp x indian game (you wont want those) but soon Plymouth Rock and plymouth x Orp so 2 pure and various crosses (just waiting on Stripey)

Last edited:
How did you give the broody the chicks? At night? How long had they been sitting for, ive never tried this and wanted to but not sure whats best.

Yay for broodies again

Teila if you want i can post you some hatching eggs we are getting plenty, and the temperature is around 37.5 now after a bit of reading around, and lethal temp is 39.4... We were at 40 for 2 batches
roll.png

I read up on it. She had been stuck tightly to the nest for a week. I took the chicks out at around 10:30 when it was really dark. We didn't use a flashlight and were very quiet. We just slipped them under her, slipped out the golf ball and in the morning all was well...later on she grabbed the golf ball again but now all is well. The chicks need to be no more than a week old...the younger the better then keep them isolated for a couple of days anyway so that they can bond as a little family. My little group had company in the coop over night but spent their last two days all alone in there.

Also the mama is a sizzle so she is naturally inclined to motherhood. I think that helps.

Last edited:
@ItalyChickie I went out and picked up my little black girl. Her comb area is totally flat but it is light so it stands out. That picture makes it look like it is WAY more than it is whew....

@Teila Cilla seems to perhaps have other ideas hmmmmm???

If I have to separate the broody pen it will be no problem...I know you are all relieved right, you were all on pins and needles wondering if the Taylor sisters would be able to share the same space without sibling rivalry destroying family harmony and if I would be able to intercede appropriately. Relax folks all will be well
wink.png
tune in tomorrow for the next installment of The Coops and the Cockerels
Ok Tommysgirl,
This is better than any soap opera
pop.gif

I read up on it.  She had been stuck tightly to the nest for a week. I took the chicks out at around 10:30 when it was really dark.  We didn't use a flashlight and were very quiet.  We just slipped them under her, slipped out the golf ball and in the morning all was well...later on she grabbed the golf ball again but now all is well.  The chicks need to be no more than a week old...the younger the better then keep them isolated for a couple of days anyway so that they can bond as a little family.   My little group had company in the coop over night but spent their last two days all alone in there.

Also the mama is a sizzle so she is naturally inclined to motherhood.  I think that helps.

Oh wow only a week, seems a short time to get chicks... Lol the gen y broody they get it easy. Im gonna try this for sure

Hi MM glad the party festivities and the the integration all ended well!!
I may have spoke too soon. We lost one chick tonight. No clue on who the guilty one is. MJ had the remaining 8 under her in the coop at bedtime. I really wish day one would have gone better. I expected loss, but ugh, I was hoping it wouldn't be from one of my own. Got some thinking to do tonight, that is for sure.

Hi all! Not sure I can catch up with everyone, but know that I have read the posts and looked at the adorable baby pictures from my phone as I had the time. Whew, Weekend done. With the new space in the big coop, I planned on trying to integrate some of the teenagers for bed time. The whole flock mingles now, but just last night a couple pullets were cozy'd up to the grown ups when I went down to lock the coop. A few more were on the roost outside the big coop so I carried them in and found a spot for them. No one was injured this morning, so I assume it went well. They are learning fast that they need to respect their elders LOL.

I let MJ and her babies out today. A lot of back and forth in and out of the apartment, but I did catch them this afternoon taking a group dust bath in the run. Willie even came over and offered the babies a treat. A few caught some stray pecks from Chica, but it seems like they are learning to stay near mom. It will be up to them from now on to listen to mom, and mom to do what she needs to do to keep them safe. Pics to come later on.

I hope to have all of the pullets staying in the big coop by the end of the week and to remove the "apartment" tomorrow. Whew, much to do!

I hope everyone is well!!

I am really enjoying the play by play of their development and reintegration into the flock and coop, since I am right behind you this is sooo helpful. thank you!

Howdy Team
frow.gif

16 paws thank you but no thank you
wink.png

No broody-hatch-alongs for Bambrook Bantams .. eggs! Someone has to lay an egg; no broodies getting fertile eggs, no hatch-alongs, no bubbies .. Eggs! Eggs! Eggs!

th.gif

Lolz … are you thinking the great egg drought is messing with my sanity??

TG no, no, no, not “join you guys” join 16 paws and IC, no broodies, no hatch-alongs .. Eggs! Eggs! Eggs!

th.gif
what??? Wendy Wyandotte heard you wanted another broody hatch a long!!!
wink.png
she is sitting pretty in the most heavily trafficked nest box and ROARS at me when I stick my hand in.
oh boy.....
th.gif

I read up on it. She had been stuck tightly to the nest for a week. I took the chicks out at around 10:30 when it was really dark. We didn't use a flashlight and were very quiet. We just slipped them under her, slipped out the golf ball and in the morning all was well...later on she grabbed the golf ball again but now all is well. The chicks need to be no more than a week old...the younger the better then keep them isolated for a couple of days anyway so that they can bond as a little family. My little group had company in the coop over night but spent their last two days all alone in there.

Also the mama is a sizzle so she is naturally inclined to motherhood. I think that helps.

wow okay this is so interesting, she was only sitting for 1 week when you gave her the chicks? and they were accepted no problem? My Wendy is going broody now, and I have some eggs in the incubator that are due in 8 days. There are 4 eggs which I set at the same time.

after that, things got messy... there are another 6 eggs but they are staggered 1 day apart from each other. the reason is, they were being laid in the broody's nest and incubated, so I put them directly in the incubator because I wasn't sure if letting them cool off to be set on the same day would ruin viability? well I really messed up because I am going to have a week of 1 hatching per day. oops..

it would be really awesome if I could give her those 4 eggs due in a little over a week.. cut down on the brooding time...

because past that, I only have 3 fertile eggs saved aside ready to be incubated, and they will need the full 21 days....

Oh wow only a week, seems a short time to get chicks... Lol the gen y broody they get it easy. Im gonna try this for sure

Yeah the site where I researched said 2 weeks but this girl had been broody 3 weeks earlier and had broken when I denied her a nest and she is a silkie. I figured if it didn't go well I would brood them in the house but that wasn't neccessary
big_smile.png

I may have spoke too soon. We lost one chick tonight. No clue on who the guilty one is. MJ had the remaining 8 under her in the coop at bedtime. I really wish day one would have gone better. I expected loss, but ugh, I was hoping it wouldn't be from one of my own. Got some thinking to do tonight, that is for sure.
ohhh.
sad.png
so sorry.

I am really enjoying the play by play of their development and reintegration into the flock and coop, since I am right behind you this is sooo helpful. thank you!

what??? Wendy Wyandotte heard you wanted another broody hatch a long!!!
wink.png
she is sitting pretty in the most heavily trafficked nest box and ROARS at me when I stick my hand in.
oh boy.....
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif

wow okay this is so interesting, she was only sitting for 1 week when you gave her the chicks? and they were accepted no problem? My Wendy is going broody now, and I have some eggs in the incubator that are due in 8 days. There are 4 eggs which I set at the same time.

after that, things got messy... there are another 6 eggs but they are staggered 1 day apart from each other. the reason is, they were being laid in the broody's nest and incubated, so I put them directly in the incubator because I wasn't sure if letting them cool off to be set on the same day would ruin viability? well I really messed up because I am going to have a week of 1 hatching per day. oops..

it would be really awesome if I could give her those 4 eggs due in a little over a week.. cut down on the brooding time...

because past that, I only have 3 fertile eggs saved aside ready to be incubated, and they will need the full 21 days....
Give it a try but monitor closely and be prepared if it doesn't work.

MM, just finished typing “it sounds like you are doing well with the integration” and then I saw your latest post .. sorry to hear that
sad.png

TG, thank you for letting us know about that broody pen; I was beside myself with the stress lol
wink.png

“Like corn through the masher, so are the Days of our Coops and the Cockerels”
lau.gif

Wow, thank you for the offer Pooman; I will definitely keep that in mind.

Right now the only eggs I want are ones that I can eat and that prove that these feathered critters are, in fact, chickens and not chicken impersonators.

I gave them a corn on the cob yesterday (first time) … today, they are still giving it a wide berth and treating it like some mutant, chicken killing vegetable! Attack of the killer corn! They are quite happy for me to pick the corn off for them and eat it from my hand but they are not going anywhere near that giant yellow scary thing! lolz
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom