Hatching with 2 broodies

Excitement levels are now officially through the roof! OMG! we have pipping and peeping!!

Cilla took a very short leg stretch when I got home. We have 4 confirmed pips and definite peeping. Nearly bed time here for Cilla but tomorrow morning before work I will hopefully get a glimpse at some bubbies!!

The top two whites are pipped, the middle upside down J and of course, the obvious on the left in which I could see movement. The pips on the others were moving also :)

Excitement levels are now officially through the roof! OMG! we have pipping and peeping!!

Cilla took a very short leg stretch when I got home. We have 4 confirmed pips and definite peeping. Nearly bed time here for Cilla but tomorrow morning before work I will hopefully get a glimpse at some bubbies!!

The top two whites are pipped, the middle upside down J and of course, the obvious on the left in which I could see movement. The pips on the others were moving also :)

yippeee!!!!! Yay for new life! So exciting hope you see fluffy little ones in the morning. Which eggs are the ones you picked?

We have news too. I went down to check on the broody mama and heard peeping! a perfect little yellow chick...so I think it is either a Delaware or it is a Sex link boy...clearly hoping it is a Del! and....my little Bantam is out of the egg and scudding all over the bator. no pip in the other egg yet but this little one is super active and chirping. hope the other one catches on and decides to see what all the fuss is about outside the egg also hope that there is more hatching happening under mama. The bantam chick isn't as small as I would have thought. The egg was tiny and this little one looks like there is no way it came out of it but there it is
big_smile.png

I will post a pic tonight.

Teila hope you have great news when you come back here!

Woohoo! So exciting, you two!
TG, are you able to take the chick out of the incubator and give to broody mama right away? Or do you have to keep the incubator shut to keep all the levels right? I don't really know how these things work.

Woohoo! So exciting, you two!
TG, are you able to take the chick out of the incubator and give to broody mama right away? Or do you have to keep the incubator shut to keep all the levels right? I don't really know how these things work.

I am going to keep it in the bator until it is able to get around better and I see what kind of mama the broody is. I found the first chick that hatched under her yesterday dead this morning :( but someone else is chirping away under her. I would not be terribly upset if I had to brood this little one in the house until the weekend so I can keep a close eye on it when I put it with the mama.

You are supposed to do it at night so Friday will probably be the day.

Today is Day 21
fl.gif
for Teilas and the two I have left here.

Oh, I am so sorry about the little chick not making it! How very sad! Good luck with the others!

Oh my goodness, soooo much going on! Where do I start?

Hi Coops! I'm just a broody wannabe hanging around.
big_smile.png

Liz! Desi has become quite handsome! I really hope things continue to work out for you and him! I wonder if he will get into the habit of going into the crate at night time, without having to be caught?

TG, Teila! Babies!! I love it. Can't wait to see more pictures!! I am so sorry that you lost the first one, TG. Excited to see what is to come!

Here I am, counting on my fingers trying to figure out what time it is for Teila…. I give up. Can't wait for an update!!

We're melting here. Really melting. It is 52* out and the snow is slowly but surely disappearing. Warm weather all week. I got my best egg count today-- 9 total, 5 of which were green or blue so all the EE are finally laying. (Marsha, your turn now. Get going!!) They are also getting bigger. Since the snow is below my knees now, I have gone back to my old mudders and have not had any conflicts with Willie. I think he tried to do a little dance toward me when I closed the run gate, but I just jumped back at him and made and goofy noise. I had to get the last word in! I am sad that the children can not be in sight while the chickens are free ranging though. No trust that Willie will mind his own business if there is someone he can try to knock down a few levels on the pecking order.

Spring fever has kicked in for me… seeing all these fuzzy butts might make it worse!

Thanks, MM! She must have heard your post, because Marsha laid her first egg here today! And, . . . . it's cream-colored! Haha! I knew there was a good chance it wouldn't be blue/green, since she's got a bit of a single comb and no beard. Oh well, she's pretty enough that her eggs don't need to be. It's a nice, healthy-looking, pinkish-hued, large egg, and I'll take it! Now it's up to Jan to provide the color.

Wow, Team Broody have certainly turned up the excitement levels this week :)

TG, Congratulations!
jumpy.gif

I am also sorry the little chick passed away :(
Bantam Bator Bubby is so cute!

Well done on the eggs MM .. yeah Marsha, your turn!
wink.png

It is now just after 07:00am Wednesday morning here :)
So I think the first chick hatched on Day 20, can't guarantee he/she was totally out of the shell but sure sounded like it at chicken bed time. Today, when hopefully some more will hatch, is spot on Day 21!

TG, the most progressed pip on the left is one I picked and the white one on the right where you can just see the T which was not pipped when I looked last night. We obviously will not know who came out of what egg but we will know how well we picked :)

I got the briefest of glimpses this morning before work. I definitely saw 1 yellow and I think there was another yellow and a grey or black; or maybe still a bit wet. At this stage I think there were three out of their egg shell PJ's :)
The little yellow one that I definitely saw because a little head was peeping out at me is so so tiny .. I don't remember Tina and Suzi being that little! lol

Hopefully more news when I get home this afternoon.
Cilla looks very pleased with herself and in her element. She ate some breakfast out of my hand and had a drink from her special little cup. Luckily Hubby is working from home today so he is going to keep an eye on the new family for me :)

I will hopefully be able to update tonight with numbers and colours and also hopefully some pictures!
celebrate.gif
So Happy!!

Congratulations, Teila!! How on earth are you going to get any work done today? Isn't it some sort of holiday in Australia? Or aren't you feeling under the weather? ;)

Back
Top Bottom