Hatching with a Hen??????

Roberts2100

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Madison, AL
I am wanting to hatch with a hen that seems to be going broody. I would like any tips on how to help her out. She has been sitting on her eggs but my rooster was beating her up this evening. I wanted to ring his neck.
barnie.gif
What do I need to do to keep this from happening again. I have about 15 hens and 2 roos. Everyone has left her alone from what I can tell except for tonight. Also, its still cool/cold down here (36 at night and 40-60 during the day). Do I need to do anything to help with the temp so it doesn't get too cold for the eggs? Thanks

I am wanting to hatch with a hen that seems to be going broody. I would like any tips on how to help her out. She has been sitting on her eggs but my rooster was beating her up this evening. I wanted to ring his neck.
barnie.gif
What do I need to do to keep this from happening again. I have about 15 hens and 2 roos. Everyone has left her alone from what I can tell except for tonight. Also, its still cool/cold down here (36 at night and 40-60 during the day). Do I need to do anything to help with the temp so it doesn't get too cold for the eggs? Thanks
The hen can supply all the heat the eggs need but if it makes you feel better you could put a heat lamp in the coop. If you really dont like her getting beat up then you could move her into a seperate coop or put her in a dog cage in the chicken coop with her nest.

Also you can feed her mixed corn it will stop her having sloppy broody poops and will also make her broody pouche warmer :)

How would I put her in a dog crate? I have one but if I mess with her she will get all puff. Would I shut her in the crate and leave her or leave it open so she could go in and out? Where would she go poop at?

I have a run 10x14 with an automatic door for the outside.Out side is a 120x24 free range area. Would I put the dog crate in the run?

Would I move her at night to the crate? She is always awake..... Should she be sleeping when I move her? Any tips on moving her or getting her to sleep?

Would I move her at night to the crate? She is always awake..... Should she be sleeping when I move her? Any tips on moving her or getting her to sleep?
Yes move her at night when its drak, its ok if she is awake just get the dog crate with straw or what ever nesting material you use, put the eggs in then quickly move her in it and shut the dog crate. Put a dark cloth/sheet over the sog creat (apart from the front) so she willl feel cosy and safe.
How would I put her in a dog crate? I have one but if I mess with her she will get all puff. Would I shut her in the crate and leave her or leave it open so she could go in and out? Where would she go poop at?
Just go at night, she wont attack you in the dark if she cant see you that well. Were gloves if you are scared of her pecking you. Also i would leave the dog crate shut for a day or two so she knows thats her nest and dosent go to her old one. If she poos just clean it up then in the next couple of days start making it so she can go out. If other hens attack her in her crate just let her out once or twice a day and she will do what she needs to do.

Well I built a broody area for my broody hen. She is now isolated and has a nest, food, and water. It has a wire floor so when she goes poop it falls to the ground. Anyways, I moved her this afternoon. I know you said move her at night but I was impatient and wanted to see what happen if you didn't. I put a black sock on her head and moved her to the new area. She seems a little ****** off right now. lol Is there anything I can to do make her happy again? Will she start sitting on the eggs anytime soon? Every time I go out there she goes crazy.

Well I built a broody area for my broody hen. She is now isolated and has a nest, food, and water. It has a wire floor so when she goes poop it falls to the ground. Anyways, I moved her this afternoon. I know you said move her at night but I was impatient and wanted to see what happen if you didn't. I put a black sock on her head and moved her to the new area. She seems a little ****** off right now. lol Is there anything I can to do make her happy again? Will she start sitting on the eggs anytime soon? Every time I go out there she goes crazy.
She should settle down soon. If not then she might have stopped going broody.

Back
Top Bottom