Hatching with cartons

MuscovyMad

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Hi,

I have 6 cochin bantam eggs in the bator at the moment and was wondering if i should use egg cartons to hatch them as one is hatching a week before the others so the humidity might end up being messed up.

I was told that keeping the eggs in cartons and keeping them upright reduces the chances of chicks drowning in the eggs when they pip into the air cell. As lying on their side any moisture left in the egg will flow into the air cell and if the egg is kicked about by other chicks then the chick could end up drowning.

However i read somewhere else that there is an increased risk of drowning when using cartons because the moisture sits around the chick and poses a risk. So i had a think and i became confused as to the chicks position when it comes to hatching as carton hatching should theoretically be ok provided the chick doesn't dip it's head into the bottom of the egg. But don't they do this when it comes to pushing out of the egg? Or is it not a problem because by the time they get to pushing out of the egg most of the extra moisture should have evaporated anyway.

Also when hatching with cartons should they be angled slightly? As i seen a live video on here of someone using cartons to hatch and they had them propped up. Also as they are tiny cochin eggs would they be okay to sit in regular sized egg cartons?

Sorry for the list of questions it's just there is lots of contradictory information about carton hatching.

Thanks

The way I see it is that under mommy they are on their side, not standing up and there are other chicks under mommy while they hatch. I'm going to leave mine on their side the way they are naturally. My eggs are due to hatch Saturday. This is my first time incubating- my silkies have done it for me before!

I've done it both ways and can't say one is better than the other, except the the chicks seem to zip around the top of the shell easier. I think I didn't have enough of the carton cut away for them to fall over and push out. You could do half one way and half the other, but there is a multitude of reasons chicks don't hatch.

I'm sure I'll use the carton method again.

Wish you a successful hatch.

Rancher

I have successfully hatched dozens of eggs in paper and plastic egg cartons in my older GQF 1202.
I prefer the plastic because they are washable. Since Silkie eggs are so tiny, the bigger the egg carton,
the more easily the eggs can be turned on their sides. My screens are so old and bowed badly with age.
So the risk is too great for breaking the eggs when the incubator is opened and the trays moved.

I also know that Muskovy eggs hatch WAY better on their sides. I see you like Muskovies like me.

I have tried both - and since I am so new to this, my 2 cents may not be worth much
idunno.gif
The silkie eggs that I put in paper cartons to hatch (after cutting them waaaaay down) seemed to hatch better than the others. I am trying it both ways again just to see if there is a real difference. Makes sense with both answers you have gotten - sitting up there is less chance of drowning, but under mama they are on their sides and get moved around ??? Maybe someone else will chime in . I would like to hear different answers too.

Here is my solution to that problem. A toliet paper roll cut into rings. Used it twice, love it and the eggs can stay naturaly on their side.

18849_img_2379.jpg

I suppose the difference between naturally on their side under a hen and being on their side in the incubator is that they are not going to roll much being all cosied up under the hen in a nest of straw. But being on the abre open floor of the incubator these little eggs are going to go flying.

Higgins00 your idea sounds good with the toilet rolls. That way they won't roll around and they will be in place to make hatching easier.

Random thought but do they ever get stuck using your way. As in they zip their way round the egg but on trying to push out the egg they get stuck big end down so they are effectively doing a head stand. Because i would imagine thats going to be a pretty hard position for tiny cochin chicks to wriggle out of.
sad.png

I'm using a homemade incubator that has dowel rods between each row and 2 screens underneath. it has no automatic turner, so you pull a lever on the front of the tray for the top screen and it rolls the egg, but it doesn't go anywhere because there are small dowel rods in front and in back of it. I do like the toilet paper ring idea!

I have never had one get stuck, but have only used this method twice so far. When I go into lock down I do angle the air sac slightly upwards. I don't have cochins but would imagine I could staple or tape the circle smaller to fit the tiny egg. Maybe try to look for a smaller tube like solution. Now i'll have to look around for something!

Back
Top Bottom