Hatching without in incubator or broody mama

LittlePeck

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2015
It's been on my mind for a year to post what happened last summer.

I'm in East Texas,where it was no surprise that summer brought debilitating heat and brutal humidity. It never caught my mind that those exact conditions were perfect for egg hatching.

There were a number of fertile eggs laying about in the coops that for one reason or another I hadn't picked up, probably because it was too hot to do anything more than i absolutely had to. I came out one day to hear the unmistakable sound of newly-hatched chicks peeping. Sure enough, there were peeplings struggling along to find a a friendly bottom to take refuge under.

Being the idealistic animal-lover I am, I scooped them up and made a situation that should have greatly enhanced their odds of survival. It didn't. All through the day I placed their sweet little peep bodies in my carefully thought-out environment. Bear in mind, by that time I had successfully raised any number of chicklets successfully. In this case, it was not meant to be.

I know that they had hatched under very encouraging circumstances. They were still wet from hatching but otherwise perfectly formed. All my efforts failed and to this day I don't know why though, as I said earlier, it was just not meant to be.Hey, I tried...

This year it's been unusually cooler, which is great because I hope never to go through that again.

Sometime I'll tell you about the another interesting story about cooked eggs in the coop. LOL

I'm sorry you lost them. What situation did you make that should have helped them survive? In this situation, I would have brought them in and brooded them in a brooder, or set up a brooder in the coop. So that might be something to consider doing if this were to happen again.

If you don't want the same thing to happen this year, just make sure you don't leave fertile eggs in the coop for three weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom