Hatchling's shell was cracked prematurely - help please?

huntsman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 8, 2010
South Africa
Hi All -

A hen has just hatched one of the four eggs she was sitting on, leaving the other three intact. After several hours, I grew concerned for the remaining eggs and popped one under another hen, which had just decided to brood nearby.

She gave the intrusive egg one peck and ignored it, but that broke the shell, creating an opening next to the unborn - but alive - chicken's head.

I had no idea what to do, so I started to remove the shell, stopping when it seemed to stick to the chick. Now, 30% has been removed and I am keeping it in a bucket of egg flat bits next to a heater.

I have just realised that I have no idea where I am going with my rescue! Advice please?

Thank you in advance! :/

Hi All -

A hen has just hatched one of the four eggs she was sitting on, leaving the other three intact. After several hours, I grew concerned for the remaining eggs and popped one under another hen, which had just decided to brood nearby.

She gave the intrusive egg one peck and ignored it, but that broke the shell, creating an opening next to the unborn - but alive - chicken's head.

I had no idea what to do, so I started to remove the shell, stopping when it seemed to stick to the chick. Now, 30% has been removed and I am keeping it in a bucket of egg flat bits next to a heater.

I have just realised that I have no idea where I am going with my rescue! Advice please?

Thank you in advance! :/

Eggs in any condition whether under a broody or in an incubator can hatch 2-3 days apart. Leave your broody alone from this point on, she knows what she is doing, more interference may cause the death of the remaining chicks. Taking the egg and placing it under another hen that "just decided to go broody" was a huge mistake which I am sure your aware of now.. it takes a broody at least 2 full weeks of sitting to be able to get in the mode of being a momma, she saw that egg (with a live about to hatch chick) as an intrusion, also, I never give a broody eggs in the daylight hours.

The chick hadn't even piped yet which means its not ready to hatch, do not remove any more of the shell!!! It must be kept atleast at 99.5 degree's and the humidity needs to be around 60-65 to keep it from shrink wrapping. IF the chick survives it may need help later, but for now, wrap it in a warm moistened paper towel being extremely careful to not cover its ability to breath, get the heat up and add some humidity..

I don't believe this chick will survive and you need to prepare yourself for it, We all make errors in our beginnings, I know I did and have killed a few chicks along the way...

Good luck on the rest of your hatch!!
hugs.gif

Yep -

Figured I'd possibly done more harm than good, but the eggs were cold, so I dived in. Dang.

Right, will do the damp towel thingy right now - thanks for the advice. Let's prey for beginner's luck, eh? :)

Yep -

Figured I'd possibly done more harm than good, but the eggs were cold, so I dived in. Dang.

Right, will do the damp towel thingy right now - thanks for the advice. Let's prey for beginner's luck, eh? :)

Wait.. The eggs were cold? She had left the nest?? That changes every thing, Was the chick still alive that you tried to help? Have you candled the remaining eggs?
If they are still alive you can set up a temporary incubator..
try what I did..

Yes, she'd left the nest entirely, going down a little ladder that she could not return up with the chick.

I went out to have a look after we chatted, and she and the chick were sleeping under the coop. I had a look inside and the two remaining eggs had disappeared, but there was another hen in a laying box and she might well be on them...

First one died as you predicted...

Yes, she'd left the nest entirely, going down a little ladder that she could not return up with the chick.

I went out to have a look after we chatted, and she and the chick were sleeping under the coop. I had a look inside and the two remaining eggs had disappeared, but there was another hen in a laying box and she might well be on them...

First one died as you predicted...

I'm sorry the chick died.. It does happen... The hen left the nest for a reason, it could be that it wouldn't have made it anyways, So now the mystery of the disappearing eggs
hu.gif
Let us know if you find them, Would be interesting if another hen took them to sit... More than likely they got eaten
sickbyc.gif

Congrats on the bitty that hatched!
smile.png

I think the hen will avoid the eggs now because the living chick cannot accompany the hen up the ladder and into the coop.

The eggs are still there, and I was contemplating putting them under the hen when she roosts under the coop in a few minutes. Thoughts?

Unfortunately the heat lamp idea is impossible just now....

Thanks for showing interest. :)

I think the hen will avoid the eggs now because the living chick cannot accompany the hen up the ladder and into the coop.

The eggs are still there, and I was contemplating putting them under the hen when she roosts under the coop in a few minutes. Thoughts?

Unfortunately the heat lamp idea is impossible just now....

Thanks for showing interest. :)

I doubt she will do anything with them, To much back and forth.. Have you candled them to see if they are even alive? I think I would do that first, if they are then I would try and put them under her.. ..

Hey, were all new to this at one time or another, I remember when I was on here seeking help, it made me feel better when someone would answer my questions... I am still learning, this is a great site for it.. :)

That is very true, and thanks again.

Tried to candle a few mins ago, but it's dush here now and another hen is sitting on them. I might just get lucky..

That is very true, and thanks again.

Tried to candle a few mins ago, but it's dush here now and another hen is sitting on them. I might just get lucky..
fl.gif
LOL.. I know the feeling, I have had a hen leave the eggs and although I have an incubator it was full at the time... Sometimes everything works out and sometimes it doesn't, but its something I keep trying and tweaking and working on...
Good Luck and keep me updated
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom