Hate the adds and reviews down the right side

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
There is too much junk on the right side
it compressed the forum which is why I'm here at all
I imagine you are looking for ways to increase the revenue of the site but it is seriously harming the user experience
takes a third of the screen
it's awful
banners across the top and bottom or a right column of text ads or something similar in size to google ads could accomplish the same without alienating your users
It's seriously bad usuability
please reconsider the right side junk
I will never ever click on any of it
I would make a point out of not clicking on it
I have come to the forum in the old format and looked for things to click on to help support you
this is just bad
it hits me in the face on every single freaking page
it makes me want to go away
please???

Try to take a proactive step if it bothers you. Go to your profile and settings and click the box that constrains the threads. what this will do is allow all the messages to be the same width. then you can take and push the window over to the edge of your screen and now you don't have to look at the adds.

I personally don't mind because ads no matter where they are placed often times have an impact on page loading. So far this arrangement has been pretty benign. I also like the way they are filling the space below the ads with reviews of chickens.... No dead space.

deb
There is too much junk on the right side
it compressed the forum which is why I'm here at all
I imagine you are looking for ways to increase the revenue of the site but it is seriously harming the user experience
takes a third of the screen
it's awful
banners across the top and bottom or a right column of text ads or something similar in size to google ads could accomplish the same without alienating your users
It's seriously bad usuability
please reconsider the right side junk
I will never ever click on any of it
I would make a point out of not clicking on it
I have come to the forum in the old format and looked for things to click on to help support you
this is just bad
it hits me in the face on every single freaking page
it makes me want to go away
please???

I do not see anyplace to do something to the threads
I clicked on settings
but do not see anything about threads
I clicked on threads and see only the ability to show all vs headlines
what exactly are you referring to?
appreciate any help but really the ads are TOO WIDE
maybe it is not bothering you because you have your webpage set to 1600 or something
but my eyesight is not good enough for that so I'm stuck with annoyingly GIANT ADS

If you are a Golden Feather Member or a Platinum Poultry Member - you can disable all ads.

Go to the "Profile" tab up top. Once that page loads....look a little ways underneath that tab on the page. You'll see a button that says: "Edit account details." Click on that. Scroll all the way to the bottom. There's a box you can check that says "Turn off advertising." Look to the right, there's a little "Save" button.

Hope this helps.

If you are a Golden Feather Member or a Platinum Poultry Member - you can disable all ads.

Go to the "Profile" tab up top.  Once that page loads....look a little ways underneath that tab on the page.  You'll see a button that says:  "Edit account details."  Click on that.  Scroll all the way to the bottom.  There's a box you can check that says "Turn off advertising."  Look to the right, there's a little "Save" button.

Hope this helps.

It's not ads, it's the reviews, tags and currently viewing things. I used adblock to remove them but unfortunately that removes ads as well.

There is a thread that is talking about someone who is having sentences being squished. Is that happening to you folks? If so, Kstaven writes:

"You have your screen resolution set to low. 800 x 600. Need to reset it higher. Happens with any website optimized for 1024 x 768 and up which is normally the lowest you see these days. It causes a panel overlap unless the site is in a wrapper which forces a scroll bar across the bottom of the screen.

Text is larger and easier to read at low screen resolutions, but images are blocky and fewer items fit on the screen
  1. Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clickingPersonalization, and then clicking Display Settings.
  2. Under Resolution, move the slider to the resolution you want, and then click Apply.

gl_ico.png
Notes

• When you change the screen resolution, it affects all users who log on to the computer.
  • When you set your monitor to a screen resolution that it won't support, the screen will go black for a few seconds while the monitor reverts back to the original resolution

Lets see on your personal page go to "edit account details" click on that
then scroll to the bottom where you see "forum preferences"
There will be a list with check boxes
check the box for "Constrain Threads to Constant Width"

Then all the threads will be the same and you can move your window over so you dont have to see the strip along the edge. I know its hard to view on low resolution when you need it for your eyesite. I have a friend who keeps her hi res monitor at about six hundred just for that.

deb

I do not see anyplace to do something to the threads
I clicked on settings
but do not see anything about threads
I clicked on threads and see only the ability to show all vs headlines
what exactly are you referring to?
appreciate any help but really the ads are TOO WIDE
maybe it is not bothering you because you have your webpage set to 1600 or something
but my eyesight is not good enough for that so I'm stuck with annoyingly GIANT ADS

Back
Top Bottom