Have 15 in the incubator, one is rotten, what now?

erock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Batavia, IL
I left friday with 15 eggs in the incubator, they are due next week on the 13th. I came home today, Sunday morning, walked in the room and it stank like a smell I have not smelled before, but it was bad. I have heard about people having eggs explode in their incubators due to a bacteria so I immediately checked. One egg in the middle of all the eggs, they are in a auto egg turner for the Hovabator, has off white foam on the top of it in a couple of spots. Obviously not good, took it out and disposed. My question is what should I expect with the rest of them. There was no explosion but obvious that one egg was in deed the source of the problem. I didn't see any remnants of this foamy substance on any of the other eggs but am worried that they are exposed any way. Any one have any info that might help me here, I am assuming that I should carry on but wonder if I need to take the eggs out and sterilize and put them back in or what. Appreciate your help.

Last edited:
I dealt with this before. Take the bottom of the bator and wash it. If any egg dripped that will keep the smell going.

It will not hurt the eggs to be out of the bator for up to an hour, like when a setting hen comes off to eat and do what she needs to.

Rinse the bottom very well. Wipe out the hole in the turner that egg was in. Set the bator back up and start it. Watch the temp. Since you did not mess with the thermostat it should go back up to the proper temp once the eggs heat back up. Do not start adjusting for a couple hours.

You can add a drop of bleach to the water you use for humidity in the bator to prevent the bacteria from hanging around. 2 drops of bleach is all that is needed for a cup of water. That is all, no more.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom