1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have A Predator Problem??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LehighCounty4-H, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    RodT silly string might work. Just spray her if she gets to close for comfort she get the point.

1 person likes this.
  2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
  3. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Well that just ruined Bambi for me...killer deer on a rampage one option is to go hunting. Lol thats so freaky i wonder what other plant eating animals would got carnivore.

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Not that they are a big problem around here, but I also just found out that hippos will eat meat. I know most herbivores eat their own afterbirth, cows do this all the time. But as far as I know a cow has never eaten any other meat willingly.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Its just interesting how little we actually know I think God is amazong the way he created animals.

6. ctc084

ctc084 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I catch my flock eating mice all the time. Haven't yet had a deer attack...I have had to administer a few high speed lead injections to possum and coons that got too comfortable near my place.

7. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never knew!

8. owlflights

owlflights Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    SE Iowa
    Muntjacs, Chinese Water deer and other fanged deer species actually don't use these tusks to eat/kill, they use them to spar with other deer! The fangs are slightly mobile, and will point more forward in the event of a fight, or fold back to make eating easier for the deer.

9. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

The first picture looks fake, and the second one just shows a deer with its face beside a dead animal. We just assume that the deer is eating the carcass. I believe that deer might eat flesh if they were deficient or starving, but I do not believe that they just go around looking for meat to eat.

The article about deer eating the quail is ridiculous pro-hunter propaganda. I guess it is possible, but I will never believe that the reason we have less quail is because of murderous deer. That article blew it way out of proportion. If anything is hurting the quail population, it is us!

10. owlflights

owlflights Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    SE Iowa

It's definitely not fake! That is a Chinese Water Deer. Do a quick google search, they are very real. :) Here's another example. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by