Have a very pale bantam rooster that isn't getting better...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no doubt that he is fertile, at least as of three weeks ago. I have only two adult bantams... One rooster, one hen. She has been laying fertile eggs (as evidenced by the bullseye yolk). Two of them hatched yesterday and they're both undoubtedly bantams.

Now I know that females can fertilize eggs from mating as much as two weeks prior, so it's possible the chicks are from sperm that was 'deposited' 5 weeks ago.

I'll have several more eggs in the incubator from her that are fertile and still have about a 10 days to go.

ETA:. Just candled the bantam eggs in the incubator. One from 4/2 and 4/7. Both show movement and blood vessels.

Last edited:
Just an update. Roo is getting worse. We've been unable to get his come to color up at all, and he's been becoming increasingly lethargic . He's been separated and we put him back on starter feed and nutridrenched water. Today I noticed that he's very wobbly and seems to be struggling with balance. At some point I'll need to be merciful as I don't want him to suffer needlessly - especially if the prognosis is dim and he continues to worsen.

Any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

What does his poop look like?
Can you get him to eat any scrambled eggs? Have you tried corid, or electrolytes?
I have been searching for answers for you, and the above solutions have been mentioned in other threads...

I've seen such a pale comb on a few occasions in my flock. It's almost always associated with a chronic disease such as cancer. Cancer is often caused by an avian virus such as Marek's and lymphoid leucosis. The only way to tell if he has this is to have a necropsy performed on his body if he dies. It's highly advisable to do this since it could have consequences for the rest of your flock.

It can also be a condition caused by genetics that affect the heart and lungs. A pale comb in this case would be caused by poor circulation.

Since he's declining and not improving, his prognosis at this point is poor. You could try a hail mary and give him liver to eat. It might improve his condition if it's anemia.

What does his poop look like?
Can you get him to eat any scrambled eggs? Have you tried corid, or electrolytes?
I have been searching for answers for you, and the above solutions have been mentioned in other threads...
I have been leaving him outside to forage during the day, so I haven't seen his poops. I've got him in a cage overnight, and will check it in the morning. I'll try some scramble eggs. Electrolytes? Like Gatoraide?

I've seen such a pale comb on a few occasions in my flock. It's almost always associated with a chronic disease such as cancer. Cancer is often caused by an avian virus such as Marek's and lymphoid leucosis. The only way to tell if he has this is to have a necropsy performed on his body if he dies. It's highly advisable to do this since it could have consequences for the rest of your flock.

It can also be a condition caused by genetics that affect the heart and lungs. A pale comb in this case would be caused by poor circulation.

Since he's declining and not improving, his prognosis at this point is poor. You could try a hail mary and give him liver to eat. It might improve his condition if it's anemia.
Well, the person from whom we obtained the pair lost his entire flock - though I'm not sure what time from or how soon after we got them. The hen is still quite spry and healthy. From what I got 2nd hand, he lost all but two.

So I'm inclined to think it's genetic. None of my other 30+ hens or roosters (none of which are banty's) show anything other than perfect health.

Liver, interesting. I have none, but will pick some up from store with the next run - assuming he's still around at that point.

Back
Top Bottom