Have held off on posting, until I had some news

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
Had a bad day here Thursday evening. Was getting food and water into chicken house so could shut up everyone for the cold night ahead (got into the 20's for overnight lows). I also was shutting the windows, when I noticed through the one window that Millicent had somehow gotten into the back yard that had my four dogs in it. Granted they are small dogs, but too many for poor Millicent to get away from. I got to them as soon as possible. Grabbed her, and rushed her out to our vet. No, they are bird vets, but at least are vets.

They have kept her there, (nice safe and warm). She has a tear on the side of her face and neck, all her tail feathers were torn out, along with skin and such. They have her antibiotics, also topical antibiotic and eye drops for an eye that has gotten cloudy. She is hanging in there and is up and doing some walking. We still don't know how things will go, but at least every day she hangs on, hopefully the closer to living.

I feel so horrible about what happened. I know the dogs were going on instinct (and four would also make the "pack" mentality kick in), but still am so upset. I feel so guilty.

I supposed many people (not saying any of you, but other people I know) would think I am crazy for spending the money on her (of all the vet care), but any animal I get, I have a responsibility to take care of to the best of my ability. No she is not a show bird, and no she is not for eating, but she still deserves to be taken care of.

hugs.gif

IMO, just because they are "commonly" eaten birds or used for commercial meat purposes, does not mean that you can't love them and aren't supposed to care for them in any way you can! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your turkey!

Back
Top Bottom