Have I Hurt My Rooster's Kidneys?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I was told that it was fine to feed roosters laying mash, but then I read that it can cause deleterious health effects for them, including kidney disease, because it has more calcium in it than they need?
Apparently, there is no dedicated rooster feed out there. No one seems to concern themselves with the health and longevity of roosters. It's all about hens and laying.
Is wild game bird feed, which doesn't contain calcium, the best food to give roosters?
But how would one stop a rooster from eating the laying mash if he preferred its taste to the wild game bird feed, and how would one stop the hens from eating the no-calcium wild game bird feed, if they preferred it to their laying mash? They wouldn't necessarily eat the right food for their gender just because both types of food were offered free-choice; correct?
This seems like a hard problem to solve.

Clairescifi
Why all the worries? With you worry so much about them you are going to cause yourself to have a bleeding ulcer. Stop worry so much. Let the the chickens be chickens. You may see a few soft shell eggs. Your girls are young. If you continue to get them find the girl who is laying them and cull her. I had a hen that laid soft eggs always found out who it was and culled. If you free range they know what they need and will eat it.

I was told that it was fine to feed roosters laying mash, but then I read that it can cause deleterious health effects for them, including kidney disease, because it has more calcium in it than they need?
Apparently, there is no dedicated rooster feed out there. No one seems to concern themselves with the health and longevity of roosters. It's all about hens and laying.
Is wild game bird feed, which doesn't contain calcium, the best food to give roosters?
But how would one stop a rooster from eating the laying mash if he preferred its taste to the wild game bird feed, and how would one stop the hens from eating the no-calcium wild game bird feed, if they preferred it to their laying mash? They wouldn't necessarily eat the right food for their gender just because both types of food were offered free-choice; correct?
This seems like a hard problem to solve.

we have a rooster eating layer mash now... it doesnt hurt them, your fine,
thumbsup.gif

How do you know it doesn't hurt them? I would think the effects of the excess calcium would be cumulative and not show up right away, but kill the rooster slowly, over time?

I've e-mailed some academics about this. I was told by an expert that laying mash has more calcium in it than roosters need, but she didn't tell me that it was actually harmful because of that. However, she also didn't say that it wasn't harmful. I think she didn't know what to say, since no rooster feed exists.

But if game bird feed is healthier for them, then I will switch to that.

I know too much calcium can hurt young chicks, so I think it could also hurt roosters?

I wonder whether studies have been done comparing roosters fed laying mash to roosters fed gamebird feed to see which have the longest lives?

How do you know it doesn't hurt them? I would think the effects of the excess calcium would be cumulative and not show up right away, but kill the rooster slowly, over time?

I've e-mailed some academics about this. I was told by an expert that laying mash has more calcium in it than roosters need, but she didn't tell me that it was actually harmful because of that. However, she also didn't say that it wasn't harmful. I think she didn't know what to say, since no rooster feed exists.

But if game bird feed is healthier for them, then I will switch to that.

I know too much calcium can hurt young chicks, so I think it could also hurt roosters?

I wonder whether studies have been done comparing roosters fed laying mash to roosters fed gamebird feed to see which have the longest lives?

just a thought

doesnt game bird feed have more calcium also?

I wonder whether Chick Grower would be superior to Game Bird feed for my rooster? I don't know which is lower in calcium. I re-read the link. It doesn't say that Gamebird Feed has no calcium in it, as I had thought. It just says that it is superior to laying mash, if you get a kind of game bird feed that is low in calcium. I wonder whether the brand recommended by the person in that link is available in my area? I will research it and see how much calcium it does have in it.

I have fed lay mash to roosters for years. I never knew it was bad for them. None ever showed any signs of illness.
idunno.gif

How long do your roosters tend to live? And how have they died? I am trying to brace myself for the worst. This little rooster is a pet, raised indoors by hand by me. He's extra-special to me, dear to my heart. I would never have done anything to hurt him.

My longest lived rooster made it to 7 yrs on layer ration and some free free range before having a run in with a dog. All others got eaten one way or another. I have had chickens for 12 yrs and somehow never had a sick adult.

Back
Top Bottom