Have I poisoned my mealworms?

splitpoplarfarm

Hatching
May 13, 2015
So I did my research before starting my mealworm "farm". I looked up the different bedding that I could use and everything and I was ready to go. I decided to use chicken feed as my bedding. It's the stuff for young chickens as I recently started that as well. My mealworms came in and everything is (or was) going really well.

I've had them for about 3 days. Last night, I decided to take a closer look (which I now know I should have done much sooner) at what was exactly in the feed. I found that my chicken feed is medicated! It doesn't say so anywhere on the bag except for the sewn on tag that lists every ingredient. With closer inspection, I found where it does say that it's medicated in the small print... I'm an idiot!! I know this is a very amateur mistake and I feel stupid for not looking at that tag more closely.

My question is, have I poisoned my mealworms by letting them be in this bedding for a while? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my worms. I'm going today and getting wheat bran to use as a bedding but I want to know if I should face the inevitable and order more worms.

I'm attaching a picture of the tag below.

Thanks!!

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif

I don't think you'll have a problem with the medicated feed. Amprolium is a thiamine analogue for protozoans and I don't think it will affect the mealworms. If you do have a problem, you'll likely notice it during pupation. Switch to wheat bran or non-medicated feed if problems arise.

Back
Top Bottom