Have people really been able to hatch store-bought eggs?

suzpyoung

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Temperance, MI
I ask this because I had my first casualty the day before yesterday. My sweet little redstar bantam appeared to have died in her sleep, with an egg laying right beside her. I've had her egg in the refrigerator since - but started to think I'd like to hatch her baby (I do have a 'bator). I just wonder if the egg has gotten too cold. Thoughts please?

Yes organic fertile eggs have been hatched out. Less rate of hatch, but it has been done!!
smile.png

ETA: I'd give it a shot. Some have had success with refridgerated eggs.

Last edited:
3 of my last batch were refrigerated and all 15 of this batch were. But I have to say that the temp on the fridge for this batch was above 45F the whole time and on 50 at the end of three days, which was as high as I could set it and still have it be cool without turning it off. (I have an eggstra fridge for animal stuff, so letting it get that warm doesn't matter...it's mainly to keep seed and stuff from getting buggy and keep horse wormers and such from getting too warm.)

Yes, Falcon had a rooster - a black silkie. Would definitely be an interesting cross! I think I'll try it - I also have a couple eggs from my 2 golden laced polish hens that are in with my white silkie roo - just in case, wouldn't want the new baby to be lonely.
smile.png

i can vouch for this too as i have a chick in my brooder right now that just hatched early monday that was from trader joe store bought eggs
here is a pic of her
fl.gif

a66a1c76.jpg

1ebd8817.jpg

Last edited:
Oh just look at her looking in the mirror!! What a precious sight. At least you're in CA where it's likely more warm that I am here! Think you'll try to find a flock mate for her? Thanks so much for sharing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom