Have people really been able to hatch store-bought eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzpyoung, Dec 31, 2009.

1. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    I ask this because I had my first casualty the day before yesterday. My sweet little redstar bantam appeared to have died in her sleep, with an egg laying right beside her. I've had her egg in the refrigerator since - but started to think I'd like to hatch her baby (I do have a 'bator). I just wonder if the egg has gotten too cold. Thoughts please?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Yes organic fertile eggs have been hatched out. Less rate of hatch, but it has been done!! [​IMG]
    ETA: I'd give it a shot. Some have had success with refridgerated eggs.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
  4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    3 of my last batch were refrigerated and all 15 of this batch were. But I have to say that the temp on the fridge for this batch was above 45F the whole time and on 50 at the end of three days, which was as high as I could set it and still have it be cool without turning it off. (I have an eggstra fridge for animal stuff, so letting it get that warm doesn't matter...it's mainly to keep seed and stuff from getting buggy and keep horse wormers and such from getting too warm.)

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I think it's worth a try! After all, you have nothing to lose if it doesn't hatch, and something to gain if it does.

Sorry about your hen. [​IMG]

6. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    Do you have a rooster? If not, the egg she hatched is infertile.

7. suzpyoung

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Yes, Falcon had a rooster - a black silkie. Would definitely be an interesting cross! I think I'll try it - I also have a couple eggs from my 2 golden laced polish hens that are in with my white silkie roo - just in case, wouldn't want the new baby to be lonely. [​IMG]

8. idahodebra

idahodebra Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Yep, I've done it. Got eggs from the health food store that were fertile and had been in the fridge.

9. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i can vouch for this too as i have a chick in my brooder right now that just hatched early monday that was from trader joe store bought eggs
    here is a pic of her [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  10. suzpyoung

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Oh just look at her looking in the mirror!! What a precious sight. At least you're in CA where it's likely more warm that I am here! Think you'll try to find a flock mate for her? Thanks so much for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by