Have to butcher my first bird tomorrow.

I witnessed my girls not getting a chance to eat because of this roo this morning. I know i am doing the right thing. Will report back when it's done.
It's hard the first time... But it does get easier... Someday we have to chat about "riggs" as I married one. :cool:

Well, it went great. Caught him easily, he was very calm. Very sleepy from hanging him upside down for a few minutes before putting him in the feed bag with his head through a hole in the corner. His head fitted snugly between the nails. Very clean one chop. It was instant. Once the movement stopped I hanged him in a tree to bleed into a bucket while i checked the temp of the water. Feathers came out very easy after scolding. Brought him inside to gut him in the sink with running water. Removed the windpipe and crop. Then the neck at the backbone. Cut very carefully around the vent and removed all the intestines. Reached in for the heart, lungs and other bits. Removed the legs, tail, oil gland and final pin feathers. Gave him a final wash, wrapped him and put him in the fridge to rest for a few days. The organs are going to our local raptor refuge to feed the threatened Wedgetailed eagles. Thankyou so much everyone. I feel slightly numb. It is a little surreal. But it will be easier next time, i actually was in a zone and focused without any nerves.

Attachments

• IMAG3895.jpg
    IMAG3895.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 20
Well, it went great. Caught him easily, he was very calm. Very sleepy from hanging him upside down for a few minutes before putting him in the feed bag with his head through a hole in the corner. His head fitted snugly between the nails. Very clean one chop. It was instant. Once the movement stopped I hanged him in a tree to bleed into a bucket while i checked the temp of the water. Feathers came out very easy after scolding. Brought him inside to gut him in the sink with running water. Removed the windpipe and crop. Then the neck at the backbone. Cut very carefully around the vent and removed all the intestines. Reached in for the heart, lungs and other bits. Removed the legs, tail, oil gland and final pin feathers. Gave him a final wash, wrapped him and put him in the fridge to rest for a few days. The organs are going to our local raptor refuge to feed the threatened Wedgetailed eagles. Thankyou so much everyone. I feel slightly numb. It is a little surreal. But it will be easier next time, i actually was in a zone and focused without any nerves.
[email protected] are AWESOME!!!!! So proud of you! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom