Have to make a decision - to heat or not to heat

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Our low tonight is suppose to be around 8, tomorrow night around 12. It's extremely windy.
DH says we can hook up a heat lamp to help the flock cope. I feel like they've done well thus far. This is their second winter. They played outside in ice storms last year.
They're outside right now and it's 28 with 20 MPH winds. They have the choice of going back in the coop, but choose to stay out.
In their draft-free coop I think they'll be okay with adding heat, but DH has me doubting myself.
I'm not sure what to do.
barnie.gif

Yours will probably be fine.

I went out to check and it looked like my youngsters were suffering, so they got a light. I'm scooping as many baby feathers out of their coop as poop, so I guess the mini-molt has them caught in the winter without much down insulation.

Personaly? I would not add the heat. They should be fine in a draft free coop....its the wet and the drafts that gets to them, not the cold so much. If they are very young or molting etc then yes a lamp, but full grown adults huddle together and put off a lot of heat! They probably won't even really notice the cold much.

I think they would be fine...just take them out warm water in the am if its frozen, and a hot breakfast etc and they will be happy to see you
smile.png

Last edited:
If it isn't too much trouble I would add the heat. It got down to 18 last night so I put mine on. I figure that the only thing it will hurt is the power bill and as long as it isn't too often it sure makes me sleep better at night knowing everyone is fine.

I add the heat. Just because they can survive something doesn't mean it's comfortable for them. I do what I can for their comfort. I'm sure the chickens would appreciate the heat.

If your waterer is under a light bulb or heated in some way to keep it from freezing and the coop is draft free, and lots of litter on the floor then they will be fine. It is what makes you comfortable. I am not allowing mine out of the coop since they won't go out into the snow anyway so with temps @ 8 degrees at the moment I keep mine inside but I keep the lights on so they know it is daytime. I hate keeping them enclosed but want them out of the drafts of this wind. Wind chill will be down to -25 tonight so I might leave the lights on....not sure as yet.

I am debating the same mess. We have frigid temps, and snow due tonight, which is not normal for where we are. I went out this morning, we have been on the farm for 8 years in april, this is the first time I have ever seen the pond with ice. But, it is what it is, and I do not believe I will be heating the coops. I have two, and a flock that go to the barn to roost. I do think I will move my breeding pair of leghorns into my brooder box, but everyone else can get in and out by choice, and I can't heat everyone anyway. So, I would go with no, but thats just me. Do bring Jax in though- ole' Bear can't handle the cold.

At that temp I haven't been; I will be this weekend with a predicted low of 3 (meaning that, since we have a low-temp microclimate in our yard, -5 is likely).

If you do, I'd suggest just a 60 or 100W bulb, though. No need for a chicken sauna
smile.png
You just want to get them up to the temperature that they're OK with!

Quote:
Jax lives in the house, as will the new pup. He's been bugging me to go out every five minutes to play, but I'm limiting his outside time to half an hour at a time.

Back
Top Bottom