Have you bought chicks from Tractor Supply this spring?

Pics

Sonya9

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Question for anyone that has recently bought chicks from tractor supply. In my state (and probably all states) we are asked to provide our name and address when purchasing chicks. Does TSC ask for I.D.? Or do you just fill out your name and address yourself?

Do they still have a 6 chick minimum?

I don't remember having to provide any information when I bought chicks from TSC but it was many years ago. And the minimum number you can buy is dependant on your state. Here in Ohio, it's six. I wonder if you have to provide an address now because of the bird flu going around?

I don't remember having to provide any information when I bought chicks from TSC but it was many years ago. And the minimum number you can buy is dependant on your state. Here in Ohio, it's six. I wonder if you have to provide an address now because of the bird flu going around?
In my state we have had to provide an address for years. The state keeps a record so they can hunt down all chick buyers if the hatchery has an incident of avian influenza.

Was gonna buy a couple of chicks at the feed store next week for a broody hen but they are getting them from Hoovers in Iowa and now I am super paranoid (not of the bird flu, but of the state showing up if Hoovers had an incident).

I don't want to buy straight run from a private breeder. Maybe Hoover's will be okay especially since they are surely freaking out over the McMurrays situation and being extra careful?

I live in MA and they didn't ask for ID. I don't think they asked for my address as a requirement for buying the chicks, but I did give them it when signing up for their rewards program. They had a 6 chick minimum official policy but the people at the store said they were willing to sell me just 4 or 5 if I wanted. I did end up getting all 6 in the end though!

I live in MA and they didn't ask for ID. I don't think they asked for my address as a requirement for buying the chicks, but I did give them it when signing up for their rewards program. They had a 6 chick minimum official policy but the people at the store said they were willing to sell me just 4 or 5 if I wanted. I did end up getting all 6 in the end though!
I know the feds are running the programs to test all flocks in the area of a confirmed case. I assumed that meant all states had chick registries too but I guess not. Poultry is a big industry in my state so that may be why they require it here.

Question for anyone that has recently bought chicks from tractor supply. In my state (and probably all states) we are asked to provide our name and address when purchasing chicks. Does TSC ask for I.D.? Or do you just fill out your name and address yourself?

Do they still have a 6 chick minimum?
We didn't have to provide any info at the TSC I shop at. The minimum is 4 chicks here now.
Might be because of limits on backyard flocks in the suburbs.

The chickens most likely to catch it and/or spread it are flocks that free range and are exposed to water fowl and wild birds. So buying any from a local farmer isn't any safer,
I am worried about the state tracking down chick buyers to cull their whole flock. As you said, it is "everywhere" anyway so killing every flock that may or may not have been exposed makes no sense to me at all.

We didn't have to provide any info at the TSC I shop at. The minimum is 4 chicks here now.
Might be because of limits on backyard flocks in the suburbs.
Thanks! I only planned to buy 2, the broody is tiny and couldn't cover 4-6 full sized chicks for long. I may just find a middle-man to make the purchase for me.

Back
Top Bottom