Have you bought chicks from Tractor Supply this spring?

Pics

Sonya9

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Question for anyone that has recently bought chicks from tractor supply. In my state (and probably all states) we are asked to provide our name and address when purchasing chicks. Does TSC ask for I.D.? Or do you just fill out your name and address yourself?

Do they still have a 6 chick minimum?

Question for anyone that has recently bought chicks from tractor supply. In my state (and probably all states) we are asked to provide our name and address when purchasing chicks. Does TSC ask for I.D.? Or do you just fill out your name and address yourself?

Do they still have a 6 chick minimum?
I didn't have to give info last month in Tennessee. Not sure about a minimum as I came home with 86.

I don't remember having to provide any information when I bought chicks from TSC but it was many years ago. And the minimum number you can buy is dependant on your state. Here in Ohio, it's six. I wonder if you have to provide an address now because of the bird flu going around?
In my state we have had to provide an address for years. The state keeps a record so they can hunt down all chick buyers if the hatchery has an incident of avian influenza.

Was gonna buy a couple of chicks at the feed store next week for a broody hen but they are getting them from Hoovers in Iowa and now I am super paranoid (not of the bird flu, but of the state showing up if Hoovers had an incident).

I don't want to buy straight run from a private breeder. Maybe Hoover's will be okay especially since they are surely freaking out over the McMurrays situation and being extra careful?

I live in MA and they didn't ask for ID. I don't think they asked for my address as a requirement for buying the chicks, but I did give them it when signing up for their rewards program. They had a 6 chick minimum official policy but the people at the store said they were willing to sell me just 4 or 5 if I wanted. I did end up getting all 6 in the end though!

I don't remember having to provide any information when I bought chicks from TSC but it was many years ago. And the minimum number you can buy is dependant on your state. Here in Ohio, it's six. I wonder if you have to provide an address now because of the bird flu going around?

I am worried about the state tracking down chick buyers to cull their whole flock. As you said, it is "everywhere" anyway so killing every flock that may or may not have been exposed makes no sense to me at all.
The government already knows where most of them are because breeders are licensed and everyone ships thru Usps

The chickens most likely to catch it and/or spread it are flocks that free range and are exposed to water fowl and wild birds. So buying any from a local farmer isn't any safer,
I am worried about the state tracking down chick buyers to cull their whole flock. As you said, it is "everywhere" anyway so killing every flock that may or may not have been exposed makes no sense to me at all.

I can't address the person info issue, as I have only gotten my first chicks from Cackle this week. But today I was in TSC, and because of this thread and the idea of a 6 chick minimum, I asked about it. The clerk said that 4 is the limit for our store. So, maybe an individual store thing?
Thanks! I bought some at TSC last week for the broody. Got lucky as they had a 4 chick minimum but then a lady came by to "just look". Course it was easy to talker her into buying 2 chicks (she has a farm with other chicks/birds at home).

Since she only wanted 2 I also talked her into adding my 3 chicks to her order and paid her in cash. They apparently just went by customer phone number and used that for their registry (some states have a registry and some don't).

My daughters bought me 1 golden comet and three ISA Brown for Easter (knowing I had a chicken egg in the incubator 🤪…) They are from TSC in SD. No info had to be given and this is a heavily affected state. Try not to freak out and let conspiracy theories ruin the fun with chicks—these are JUST FINE(other than a small case of pasty bum on “Comet”) They even took in my incubator chick….🥰
CE44466F-B0CF-48C3-A1D7-F9CC9931884B.jpeg
A866B6F5-73E1-4AF1-8273-CBCE5BDE66AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom