Have you ever had a hen crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texaschick-a-dee, May 18, 2009.

1. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    When I was watching the flock yesterday one of my roosters crowed and then one of my hens tried to mimmick him. It wasn't nearly as loud as the rooster. DH thinks that I'm nuts can anyone back me up here? [​IMG]

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    usually hens only do that when there is no other rooster around. It's not totally uncommon for a hen to take up the role of a rooster when there's not one in the flock. Are you sure your hen isn't a roo? [​IMG]

3. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    Definately not a rooster. She's a BSL and almost a year old. And we have 6 roos.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    huh. well, I guess you've got a weird hen!! [​IMG]

5. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    Yes, yes I have had a hen crow. And I know she was a hen because I've never seen a rooster who could lay eggs. I had to re-home her because she was so loud. She was a silver seabright, but I've also heard my OEGB make a similar noise when she wants out of her coop.

6. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    My hen crows and she crows loud! She wakes me up every morning crowing! That's how she lets me know she wants out of her coop! I named her Diva because she's so... demanding! I don't have a roo so I guess that's why she crows. I know she's a she because she gives me an egg every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by