Have you ever had a nice rooster?

I've raised close to 30 roosters, with more in my brooders right now, and so far, I only have one that made the cut. :hmm Sadly, it seems most males are either ridiculously rough on their girls, or they're human aggressive. Sometimes both. I guess it all depends on what you're willing to put up with.

And nothing you can do during chickhood molds young cockerels into wonderful roos. I've tried cuddling and forming relationships with them, also barely handling as chicks, and ended up with nasty roosters in either scenario. It all boils down to this: individual personality. They'll turn out how they're going to turn out regardless! Just enjoy them while they're young and sweet. ;)

My lone boy, a 2-year-old bantam Wheaten Ameraucana, is not only wonderful with tiny children, but the hens he calls "his" have never shown any signs of rough handling. He's a perfect gentleman! :love Love this little man to pieces.
DSCN4846.JPG

~Alex

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
Yes, it depends on how it is raised as a chick i hand raised all my chickens as chicks and they are still sweet to this day.They are almost 2 years old and are Easter eggers.I also had hens from that flock that went broody and hatched some eggs..So i went from having 1 flock of 7 chickens to a second flock of 20 chickens and they are also friendly because once they hatched i raised them by hand,which just means picking them up everyday, petting them and just letting them eat out of your hand...Also having one rooster per flock of hens is important I had two roosters in a flock one time and both roosters started being mean to each other and attacking my legs everyday when i went to collect eggs in the morning...The only way to really keep more then one rooster is to have a rooster only flock and keep them in what is called a (bachelor pen).

Oh goodness yes, where do I begin? I have about 25 bantam barnyard mixes that are little dolls. Many will say that their OEGB boys are not so nice but mine are. They may pick on one another but that as far as I am concerned is being a rooster. They all respect me, allow me to pet them and if I insist, pick them up.

I also have 5 standard sized roos that aren't as friendly as the OEGB boys but they respect me which is all I ask of them.

I've had mean roosters. They don't stay around the farm too long. There is always an Amish neighbor around who won't hesitate to let the 'come over for dinner' if I get the word out that I have a rooster to get rid of.

DSCN1085.JPG

This is Brooster, my 7 year old GL Wyandotte mix. He has been leader of my flock since he matured. He has never been aggressive but he keeps the younger roosters in line. He also loves coming in the house for a few peanuts or a piece of cheese. And he is more than willing to sit on my lap and soak in the sun. I've had a lot of good roosters and he is one of the best! ;)

View attachment 1292715
This is Brooster, my 7 year old GL Wyandotte mix. He has been leader of my flock since he matured. He has never been aggressive but he keeps the younger roosters in line. He also loves coming in the house for a few peanuts or a piece of cheese. And he is more than willing to sit on my lap and soak in the sun. I've had a lot of good roosters and he is one of the best! ;)
Pretty boy!

View attachment 1292715
beautiful

Absolutely! I've had 3 white Orpington boys who were purchased at a week old, and handled daily their entire lives. One was a bit less friendly, but not mean at all, while the other two were the sweetest boys ever. They'd even come when called, climb onto my lap for naps, and followed me around the yard all the time. I also had a Rhode Island White x Welsummer roo who was equally sweet. He was always very inquisitive and interactive, if not a little cheeky sometimes haha, but I never never once saw any signs of aggression from him towards me, his girls, or anyone else. He'd crow and come looking for you if you happened to walk off with one of the girls without him noticing, but it was always just the 'where are you?' call and he'd relax right away once he saw where she'd gone. I met a huge black Orpington roo once who was so docile he was like a lazy old Labrador, haha. Apparently the family that owned him previously had a 6yr old daughter, who was roughly the same size as him, and he was always looking out for her, like he enjoyed her company and was quite attached to her. She'd pick him up and carry him around all the time with no problems, which must've looked hilarious due to his massive size xD When I picked him up he was so docile and gentle he just cuddled into my chest and let his legs dangle like he didn't have a worry in the world, haha. Usually chickens who don't like being handled will squirm and flap a bit, or kick their legs around like they're trying to find something to grip on for security, and do the 'snake neck' thing trying to get their heads as far away from you as possible, all tense in the wings and such... But all 3 roos I've known that were particularly friendly were happy as Larry to be carried around like a football and even start nodding off while being petted in someone's lap. They were all Orpingtons, but only two were related. I think breed has a lot to do with it, and the parents, as well as general upbringing. I really love roosters tbh, there's something about that rooster spirit that just speaks to me, heh. Of course, some are aggressive and an aggressive roo can be *really* bad for it, but that's not the general nature of them in my experience. Most are *assertive* and can be quite bold and inquisitive, but not necessarily mean or aggressive by nature; it just may be intimidating to see a huge, proud rooster with those big feet, claws, and spurs, not to mention the sizeable beak and generally striking colours, acting assertive or bold around you, crowing so loudly and scaring off intruders (watching a fully grown Orpington roo fight off a scrub turkey in proper 'attack mode' is a sight to see for sure =/ Makes you think 'oh wow he could seriously hurt me if he wanted' y'know?), but it doesn't necessarily translate to them being an aggressive bird.

I know that it's par for the course for roosters to be pretty mean and aggressive, especially the older they get But have you ever had a nice rooster that would say let you pet him was friendly etc.?
I think our definitions of nice are different. I think a nice rooster is one that is gentle with the hens & chicks, protective of them, but stays out of my space. I can pet my showgirl rooster but he doesn't care for it. My cream legbar rooster is nice too, but stays away from me. I've had some other nice roosters too.

Back
Top Bottom