Have you ever relocated and taken your flock with you?

Yes I did, on the other side of town!
lol.png

I've not had to move yet with my girls, but I would suggest using a large dog kennel for the transport, with the water bottles. I'd also suggest confining them in the kennel for short periods of time to get them used to the idea, and used to the watering system. Just lengthen the time they're in the cage gradually. I know every time I had to move my cat, she'd have fits! I ended up just letting her loose in the cab of my truck rather than locking her up, because the only time she got caged was to go to the vet's.
smile.png
You can really minimize the stress for any animal by getting them used to the idea before the actual event. Plus, this way, you'll be able to tell if your dog kennel is big enough for the four of them, or if you'd be better splitting them up in two boxes.

Good luck with the move! I think I'll be keepin an eye on this thread- I'm planning on moving in a couple of years
smile.png

We moved 400 miles with 17 chickens, 4 cats, and two aquariums in a passenger van. i had the chickens in various cages and carriers, allowing enough room for everyone to move around a bit. i wasn't sure how to do water without it spilling, so i put lots of cucumber chunks in with them for moisture. When we stopped along the way i would put waterers in with them for a drink. When we got to our destination escrow hadn't closed yet, but the owners allowed us to put the cages in their shed for the night. The five Showgirl babies (and cats and fish) came to our hotel and the chicks stayed in the shower. It was only a nine hour drive and not too bad. My husband cracked up when someone laid an egg along the way and they all started singing the egg song.

BTW - i would never transport fish again. They all eventually ended up dying, even though i used battery-operated heaters and filters.

I once took mine on vacation with me since I had no one to take care of them and was just going to my family's farm where they could roam free....a 7 hour drive in cat carriers with stops for water. My little rooster crowed whenever I got out of the car (ie, to pump gas, walk my dog at a rest area...), but they really didn't seem to mind.

Quote:
You're right about this. I don't know how bad they would be, the kennel was their home at one point. I remember when I brought them to the yard for the first time they were terrified to come out. Ahh, the pullet days... Very good points about getting them acclimated though. Thank you!

Quote:
Fish almost never make it. I learned that lesson the hard way with a salt tank and it wasn't that long a distance. I have avoided starting a tank again with even a goldfish because I don't want to have to worry about that.

I was LMAO about the egg song! Good stuff
smile.png

I just caught the time frame thanks to your pm...you should be fine with weather and will probably need to do the extra straw thing. One other thing...if you put them in the uhaul as I did...make sure there is head room for air circulation. If you look at my pics you will see I stacked them and used my king size mattress on top, creating and open space above and between them...that helped tremendously in keeping the air from getting stale back there and allowed the fans to do their job. I just strapped. The coops and crates to the walls of the uhaul.
smile.png

You will be fine. Like others here I have moved mine 3 times. 1st a short trip about 2hrs. Then the longest 1200 miles. Then the 3rd a hopefully last trip 600 miles. I used every cage and even some cardboard boxes. I had over 20 chickens, a duck, rabbits, dogs, turtles, fish in tuberware, cats (even my barn cats, semi ferel). No-one was left behind and all made the trips just fine. It was a real sight & smell.....lol
lol.png
Good Luck!

I love the moving pictures.
big_smile.png

That's so smart, waiting to move until spring. I have chickens that lived in a chicken tractor just while they were younger pullets, before they moved to the big coop. After several years, they're still nostalgic for that tractor and try to get back into it from time to time. It's not as nice as where they're living, but they still have a thing for that tractor. I bet your chickens will recognize their old dog kennel. If it's big enough for the four of them to lay down in there, I think that would work well.

When I move, everybody moves. I move birds, cats and rabbits in pet carriers or cages. My dogs are good and can ride loose in the car/van. I move fish in food coolers. It helps maintain the water temperature and the temperature change on long trips is more gradual. I can occasionally open the lid to provide air exchange or keep it closed to prevent splashing and jumping. Mine have always traveled well, but I've never moved salt water fish before. I haven't had to move across the country since they invented battery powered pumps. I'd start a sponge filter in the tank before a trip and use one of those, now. The filter media comes along in the water, so it stays viable. I keep the gravel wet in a container, also, to keep the bacteria alive on it. I also take a good sized amount of fresh water from the old place, since different water parameters at a new place can be really hard on fish. I like using 5 gallon water jugs like you use for camping.

I like to stop every few hours. The dogs get a potty break and everyone gets water, food if they need it. I've found that the stops are important even if they have food and water available while I'm driving. A lot of times they won't eat or drink while the vehicle is moving. When I've had the vehicle stopped for a bit, then they relax and will drink or eat. As usual, I talk to all of them like I normally do. We talk about how the trip is going, isn't it all exciting, isn't it nice to take a break and have a little something?
lol.png

I have a master plan for when we move. I know we're going to move, I just don't don't know where because we haven't bought a house yet. But first we're getting husband a pick-up truck. Then I'm going to stalk CL for a flat bed trailer. When move day comes, I'm putting the birds back into dog crates like when I first got them. Unscrewing the floor of the coop and pulling it up. It's one of those metal shed kits, though I am unsure of how heavy it got after adding wooden window frames and insulation. But before, you could stand inside it, lift up, and move it across the yard.

So in theory, we can lift it, move it, get it onto the flat bed. Take it to the new place, where ever that will be. Shouldn't be more than an hour. The run is the same size, so we can do the same with it. Get it set back up in a new spot, get the birds, move them back in.

As far as moving just birds... I've done it 4 hours repeatedly because I bought them out of state. One time I was rear ended on the interstate, crossing the bridge to home. 1st car of a 5 car pile up. I was cut off, and everyone behind me was going too fast and much too close. Was driving my dad's old station wagon. The impact of the dodge ram pickup behind us bent in the tail gate and knocked the lid loose on the birds. The final truck, a giant Excursion towing a boat, sealed the deal and smooshed everyone again, and the lid got knocked off. State trooper came around asking who had the free ranging chickens in the front car.

LOL.. I did. So, now I never put the birds in the back. I buckle them into the seat belts on the back seat and put suitcases in the back. I was the only one in the pile of cars to not get a ticket. Crazy. That stretch of interstate is weird. Another time during high traffic, I was BACKED into by the car in front of me. Like they didn't know how their brakes worked or something.

I've moved dogs 5,000 miles with an airplane and all. When moving any animal, the most important thing is to keep them calm and hydrated. Dark boxes with good airflow. Treats of wet food, like tomato or watermelon since it can't "spill" and splash around. Use an absorbent bedding to keep the smell down. If you know you'll be staying in hotels, your best bet is a stock trailer for the birds so you can leave them outside and lock them up. Use rachet straps to secure cages inside the trailer.

Moving with chickens is way better than moving with cats. Chickens seem to go with the flow pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom