have you ever seen a chicken with blue eyes?

tielie135

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
100 mile house, BC, Canada
because i have now!
this chick hatched out and i knew there was something special about her. her mom is a freak all white chicken (from my flock with no white chickens) and the dad (who i got after her) is a splash Americana. from them i got this girl who is lavenderish splash (i have no lavender chickens and it looks real strange) who has BLUE EYES! it is even bluer in real life but it was hard to get a photo of her and that is why i was holding her head still for a second.
i just thought i should share :)
i
IMG_20201205_144118.jpg

because i have now!
this chick hatched out and i knew there was something special about her. her mom is a freak all white chicken (from my flock with no white chickens) and the dad (who i got after her) is a splash Americana. from them i got this girl who is lavenderish splash (i have no lavender chickens and it looks real strange) who has BLUE EYES! it is even bluer in real life but it was hard to get a photo of her and that is why i was holding her head still for a second.
i just thought i should share :)
iView attachment 2438212
Beautiful!!!

from them i got this girl who is lavenderish splash (i have no lavender chickens and it looks real strange) who has BLUE EYES!
Splash looks lavender at times in chicks. And black birds can be hiding other feather patterns even though you don't have any white birds in your flock... If you splash bred to a blue.. this is likely another splash offspring??

All juvenile birds have light colored, greyish.. maybe blue ish eyes, I think.. and suspect it will change significantly with time. See how it turns once mature! :pop

I have seen ONE other blue eyed adult chicken.. it was a white Leghorn I believe, seen here..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-eyed-leghorn.1144270/#post-17822380

Cute chick, glad you're having fun! :D

There's a breed of chicken known as the aloha that occasionally has them!
I hatched a chick out that has blue/orange marbled eyes - just like an Aussie dog! I was wondering if anyone else has ever had something like this happen? If so, I would love to see pictures! Please share photos of any blue eyes in chickens. There was an older thread from 2010 about blue eyes in chickens, but the photo links were no longer good, so I could not see the pics. :(

I took a TON of photos to document this - prepare for photo spam! LOL.

Her right.

Right side.

Left side

Left again.

Right 3/4 view

Front.

Left 3/4 view.

Bright sun.

Splash looks lavender at times in chicks. And black birds can be hiding other feather patterns even though you don't have any white birds in your flock... If you splash bred to a blue.. this is likely another splash offspring??

All juvenile birds have light colored, greyish.. maybe blue ish eyes, I think.. and suspect it will change significantly with time. See how it turns once mature! :pop

I have seen ONE other blue eyed adult chicken.. it was a white Leghorn I believe, seen here..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-eyed-leghorn.1144270/#post-17822380

Cute chick, glad you're having fun! :D

yeah she started out with greyish eyes that have been progressively been getting bluer so i think it will get even brighter. all of the other siblings (17) didnt have blue eyes so IDK? the moms mom was a red (ISA brown?) chicken and the grandad is a Americana. the father of this chick is a purebred splash but i dont know the heritage. most of the 17 chicks were splash and none of the others were grey so i really don't know what's going on genetically here, i had questions with the mom as she was a random occurrence so this just deepens the mystery.
leucistic or albino? | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens <this has more info on the mom.
i will def give updates as she gets older, she is almost fully feathered out now :)

here are some photos of her. cant seem to get the lighting right but she is really closer to the lighter one with that odd blueish tone to her feathers of the darker one. neither photo captured the purple tones of her tho. she has splash marks but they are very dilute. the top photo is very similar to her real colour but my girl has more purple
1607213642481.png

IMG_20201205_155649.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_155710.jpg
    IMG_20201205_155710.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom