Have you given up your flock because of neighborhood predators?

Sorry but chickens are livestock even in a neighborhood you can protect your livestock. Plus op has kids dogs in predator mode and kids don't mix.If the owners and the animal control officers won't help the options are pretty limited. Unless an electric fence is purchased which in my opinion shouldn't be on this person's shoulders they don't own and aren't responsible for those dogs.

If you want to keep your birds, an electric fence IS an option. Probably your best one. All the problems you have encountered go away once those dogs get whacked by an electric fence. As is, they have nothing to lose.....and oh so much fun! But with a fence.........they will not be coming back. I understand the concern with kids, but don't be. I have a 3 year old grandson who co-exists with the fence all the time. If it is a real concern, turn it off when they are around, and turn it on when the dogs are a threat. Once those dogs have been popped a few times, you really don't need it on all the time anyway. It also helps keep the birds inside a small yard.
BTW, do I know anyone who gave up? Yes.......my mother. That was about 60 years ago. When I got birds she told me not to bother........I'd lose them all to coons and such. To date, I've not lost a single bird. But I protect them with an electric fence. She didn't have one of those.

Yes! My neighbors dog killed my entire flock but 2. My barred Rocks where the first I bought and they were 4 years old. Big John, my rooster was huge and gentle. He would pick food and give it to the hens who ate it from his beak. His second in command was J.D. a barred rock Turken, unique because most turkens are big and red. He and Big John had a great rooster relationship in the evenings J.D. was responsible for getting any rebel hens in the shed. My broody hen was a white Turken named Prissy, as soon as her current chicks were on their own she would start setting again. I lost my interest after the horrifying raid and I still miss them. Today I put 14 hatching eggs in the incubator. I know they will be a good flock in their own way but their will never be another Big John, J.D. or Prissy.

I have been through such before. My responses and reaction similar to those of the OP. Me or my dogs have killed dogs of neighbors which in itself can be problematic. I consider my chickens high value since some family heirlooms so invested more in the fight. Now using electric fencing with redundant perimeters. Pens are also used within those perimeters. I am in a location where dog abundance is likely on the high end of what people here experience, yet one can persist.

We have lost birds to dogs in the past also. We use dog kennels now for our birds (to keep dogs out) and cover in 16 gauge strong hardware cloth with 1/2 inch openings (due to raccoons). This covers the top of the kennel too and an apron around the outside bottom to prevent digging.
20170605_110020_Film1.jpg

Size large 90 inch diameter advantek pet gazebo covered in fencerwire.

Last edited:
There is a quality of life issue for the poultry keeper. Over reacting can get you into trouble as well, or at the very least alienated from the community you live in.

I agree one must be cautious and not over-react, but someone who has irresponsibly infringed upon another person's right to live in peace and safety has already alienated that other person.

Back
Top Bottom