Have You Seen Any Honey Bees?

i have 25 hives and working my way up to 50
ep.gif

Livelybee's where are you located? Glad to hear it. I know nothing about bees other than there a lot of missing bees around our area but like I said in an earlier post...could have been the late hard freeze we had that destroyed all blossoms for this year and all the new leaves on the trees. Trees here are just beginning to come back from their loss.

I have 8 hives. I started 10yrs ago, because there were NO honeybees on our farm- our production was less than a 1/10 of what it had been 10yrs before with twice as much being planted. I did research, took classes, joined the local beekeepers club and then took the plunge. Now we plant smaller quainities (which means less work) and productions is at an all time high..It a wonderful hobby and I will never bee with out a hive or two--as long as I can take care of them or hire someone to!!Dixie...

I heard on the news that the bees were leaving because of cell phones. Supposedly the radiation from the signals messes up their homing instincts.

I don't know if it's true or not, just what I heard.

Jean

When I looked at the article from the Herald Tribune, I searched the word (bees). In the listing of references to bees I did see something about cell phones but did not read it. Almost sounds like something one of the rag papers would write.
gig.gif
But I will go back and read that article now. I doubt that is a factor as why would they all disappear at once after all this time? Interesting though isn't it?

I just heard the tail end of the news report, so I don't know what all was said.

It is certainly possible since I'm sure all those transmissions could mess with their built in radar.
I guess I'm really from the old school, I don't have a cell phone. Had a prepay one once, but never used it...it's somewhere around here...
hu.gif

Jean

I heard it was a mite infestation that killed off the wild bees. Here is southwestern Mich. bees are very important to our fruit crop pollination. I saw a bee recently, but didn't know if it was another kind or not.

interesting about the bumblebees, did you have a hard late freeze like we did? We all need them for pollination of our crops so maybe they just went where there were blooms? Since we lost ours to a late, very long freeze the first of April?

Back
Top Bottom