Have You Seen Any Honey Bees?

We are in North Florida and have a bunch here. But that is because Dad keeps them. He's got a box hive that's been here for a year and a half or 2 and a half years. He's got a new one just waiting to be set up. I keep begging him to come up to visit so he can get some for me to use. I hear it helps with allergies and I'm suffereing those because of lack of rain in the area.

Beth

lively Bee's :

It was me that made the enistein quote. The reason enistein is given credit for the quote is b/c it is noted in his some of his work I can say that he was the first to say it but he was the first to write it.

As far as bacteria that has not been proven. If it was indeed a bacteria infection killing off the bees then there would bee more bee's loss and it would show up in every state. It would bee passed from hive to hive from bee to bee contact out in the field I could be wrong but.

so far I think the last count was 24 states missing bees..not all of them but some folks have lost 50 % of their hives. Good stites referenced here in this thread.​

Quote:
great news! I got stung by a sweat bee today, ha but I am still looking for honey bees. Wild daisies are blooming here now so hopefully, they will come.

I have a friend that works for the state of nc dept of agr. He told me several years back about the decline of honeybees. There is a mite that gets into the honeybees throat and basicly suffocates it. They can wipe out a hive in the matter of days.

In addition to the the mites, the over use of pesticides have taken a toll as well. Kills off the bad bugs but the good ones too. The key to using them, if you do, is to read the daggum lable.
he.gif
It tells you how much and when to spray.

It is these and the over use of fertilizers that are poison most of our underground water supplies. Last place I would want to live by is a golf course!! Can your imagine how much stuff is in the water around there?!!!
ep.gif

Back to the basics! Everyone needs chickens to eat their bugs and poop for their veggie gardens!!

Coyote

That's the tracheal mite. That one was quite a problem several years ago, but with some simple treatment, it's controllable. Resistance to the tracheal mite, and the varoa mite, have been showing up more and more in the colonies.

Golf courses aren't a big source of fertilizer or pesticide runoff or leachment. They and farms are heavily regulated on application. Homeowners on the other hand, have no such oversite, and routinely apply them far to heavily, in an improper manner, and at poor times.

A far heavier user of pesticides is an orchard.

We hit 94 degrees yesterday and today is going to be 92 degrees, well yesterday they were out in full force pollinating our blackberries up until then I was a little concerned. The blackberries are not far from our garden so it was a relief to see so many, maybe they just needed some heat?

I have numerous bumbles hovering around my crabapple trees. Yesterday, I found a fallen bumble on the ground, he looked dead, but I picked him up and was looking real close at him and I saw a small mite looking little bug crawling on its mandible. The bumble was still alive - it's legs moving slowly. I've seen this before, it could be a natural occurence, I don't know -- does this sound familiar to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom