Have you seen this doghouse for chickens?

Ceader Is Not Good For Chickens.a Olde Timer Told A Buddy Of Mine .he Said They Would Be Dead By Morning

I have a similar dog house that I converted. Here it is before conversion:
37862_dig_house_video_005.jpg

I bought it used and it was really rickety. I shored it up, built a platform for it to sit on, added a door cover and roost inside, and replaced the plexiglass-like window lining with hardware cloth (kept the plexiglass stuff for winter time). That was last summer. I only used it for a few weeks when getting ready to integrate two new pullets into my flock. Because I paid $50 for it, I think it was well worth it. Since last summer it's been sitting out under a bunch of cedar trees. I think those things hold up okay sturdiness-wise, but it's really faded out. Under a carport or something I think it'd do well, but out in the open you will see it fade. If they'll be out in it come winter, I would make sure the roof/ceiling line was high enough to support a lamp or other heating device if you'd be keeping seramas in it. I do think it could support a trio that size if they also had a run...

ETA: Also tacked in a board across the bottom of the door opening to keep bedding inside.

Last edited:
I don't think that your chickens would be "dead by morning", but the vapors that cedar gives off is known to cause respiratory problems
in chickens. Housing them with cedar shavings is a big no-no, and I really don't think that putting them in a solid cedar structure would
be a good idea. That said, I have cedar siding on mine, but on the outside only.

Just advice from old timer #2.

old.gif

The vapors have to do with cedar SHAVINGS on boards. There are more exposed oils in the shavings.

Honestly, unless you can see that doghouse up close and personal, I wouldn't buy it. Some of that stuff they sell on line won't last a couple of months even with a good paint job.

Quote:
I have that same doghouse converted too. It was expensive and I cussed about the price, but it's been very handy over the past couple of years. I've brooded chicks in it as well as housed small numbers of adult birds, and used it as a "next box" for free rangers. It was worth it in the end, coz it's a LOT cuter than anything I could build!!! hehehe

Some info about it on my byc page about it https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=27985-chicken-tractor

Cedar
wood isn't too bad. It dries out quick and isn't too smelly (oily) after a little use. Cedar shavings are a no-no.

Thanks guys! I was planning on painting it both inside and outside really well to seal out the fumes and odor of cedar. It is white cedar not red, not sure of difference
roll.png

These are my prized pets so pen is dog kennel with sides netted and shade cloth on top. I hate to keep them indoors all the time and think they would enjoy the sun and digging in dirt and eating grass.

The pen will be right outside my back door and I will only put them out while I am home..

Most of these dog houses are from China.. This one is made with wood from states so hope it is better made.?? I like the fact that there is no shipping or tax and it is delivered right to my home..... 1 year guarantee, hope I don't need it...
smile.png

Will post pics. once I get it all painted and set up.

I bought a similarly made rabbit hutch:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=enf1TbvPCM_PgAf4xODXCw&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAQ#

and it's really a piece of crap, I keep it in the garage out of the weather so I can't imagine, even painted, that your doghouse coop would hold up too well for more than a couple of years. Just my 2 cents
smile.png
Maybe if you primed it well and painted it with one coat paint, twice, it would be better? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom