HAVE YOU TRIED FROZEN EGGS?

Annie from the harvest forum does this.

"Oh, and my "girls" are laying well, and I'm inundated with fresh eggs. I've been beating them up and freezing them, two per package, for baking next fall and winter, when the "girls" are on vacation. I have about 12 dozen in the freezer, I think that's probably enough, LOL. "

She is big on canning and trust her judgement here.

Maybe a good idea for us that have way to many right now.

ML

While in the service, we had frozen eggs. That was in the 60's. One batch had a date of 1946 on it. I did'nt eat any eggs that day, but no one got sich that I know of. I wouldn't keep them that long. All the eggs we had that was frozen, was scrambled.

I've frozen 12 egg whites at a time in a plastic container and kept them for up to six months. Makes wonderful homemade angel food cake.
jumpy.gif

I would think that beating some eggs together and freezing in a large freezer bag would be fine (remove as much air as possible).
I worked in a nursing home kitchen where they would receive the eggs raw and frozen in a huge bag. The cook would simply thaw them overnight and throw the bag in boiling water. Those were mighty tasty eggs! They were light and fluffy. Mmmmm...
They were purchased from a food service like Sysco so I don't know if they had any perservatives added, but it might be worth a trial run anyway. If not, chuck the mess and start over with fresh...you don't have much to lose...

Sounds like they'd be great for stuff like pancakes or cookies, but maybe not so much to eat plain. I would totally try what ML quoted, about freezing eggs in recipe-sized amounts...

I've only frozen mine for omlets. Great for when you have a sleep over for the kids or family over. Beat the egg and put in a freezer bag. Add veggies, meats, cheeses, etc. to the bag and seal, removing as much air as possible. Put in the freezeruntil ready to cook. Here is the best part!! Put bag in the micromave and cook until eggs are done. Cut open bag and it slids right out. Quick to cook and less dishes to clean.

DMK Ranch

Back
Top Bottom