Have you used chicken nipples?

I have been using mine for almost 2 years with no problems. Like others my first set was from eBay and were junk. Make sure you order the ones that will unscrew to clean. I have not had to clean mine but they are a much better quality. My coop is elevated so I made a box with “hardware cloth” on top and some galvanized metal at an angle to take the drips through the floor to the outside. I used an 8 gal container and mounted a toilet bowl float in it to keep the container full and it just gravity feeds down to the row of drinking nipples. I did have a problem with them leaking (because of the gravity feed water pressure) so I used a pvc cap on the inside of the container to cap off the feed to the nipples and only drilled a 1/8 in hole in it instead of the full 3/4 in pipe supplying the nipples. I did use it in the brooder box with no problems either.

I used mine all winter with plug in tank heater disks laying in the buckets. Can't let buckets go empty though or it can melt nipples.
I LOVE the nipples, but watch the sizes when ordering from ebay, there are chick and adult sizes available.

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my chicken nipples!!!! No more poopy water! I have put 3-4 nipples in the bottom of a red 2 gallon cooler jug & hang it. It works great for cool water in the summer I add a cool whip bowl ice chunk for cool water. In winter fix a heat lamp over the top to keep from freezing. It works GREAT!!!! Chicken love it! I also start baby chicks out with a nipple in the cap of a 2lt. coke bottle. It only takes them a couple days to figure it out, once they figure it out the poopy water dish disappears. Baby chicks also love a Rabbit water bottle.

I wanted to say that we have also used the 5 gallon bucket system with our Blue Swedish Ducklings. I had read that ducks couldn't use a nipple system but the lead chicken person at Tractor Supply said they used it with their ducklings and it worked just great. It worked for ours as well. They are now 7 weeks and still use the nipple system. I have not tried it on mature ducks that did not use it as ducklings.

I love all the replies! I just recorded a video last night/this morning that I'm going to post on my blog and youtube channel about switching chicks over to the chicken nipples! The 3 girls I have took right to it!!! it took them about 5 minutes to realize what it was, but now they are all doing well! They are just over 2 weeks old! I use a small Rubbermaid container, I like the snap on lids and the thicker plastic.

I live north of Seattle, so it doesn't get too cold here in the winters, but there are nights that it does freeze. So those nights, I just bring the waterer into the garage and then put it out in the morning. With the nipples from Avian Aqua Miser that I have, I've not had any problems with leaks or drips, so no mud for us. But you could maybe put a "stepping stone" or something under the nipple, and that will keep it from going into the dirt and give it time to evaporate.

Love all the replies!!! Here are my chicks this morning after taking to it! Check out my blog to see the video and more pictures of these girls!! RHOSC

Back
Top Bottom