Having birds shipped? Prep & advice?

tacothechicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
Hey guys!!! So I currently have 5 young birds. Only one pair and 3 other cocks so I went ahead and bought 3 colorfull young ladies from a breeder in California! Seeing as this will be my first time bringing new birds into a settled flock what can I expect? Should the birds be quarantined like chickens for a suspended amount of time? I already have an extra area set up for their arrival as I plan to give them at least 24 hrs time to recuperate and fill on food rest and water before braving the boys. Will they all get along ok automatically since they will be opposite gender or?... I only have one male who's overly territorial and feisty (Fj -_-)and he's already paired whith my single hen who luckily keeps him distracted.they'll be arriving wednesday so I have a few days to prep anything else if need be, tomorrow I'll be setting out and buying another feed and water set for when they go into the loft so theres minimum competition. They already have plenty of space, perches hidey holes and nest boxes so if you guys can think of anything else let me know :D I'll post pics once they've settled in! Theres a tail pied, red recessive tiger, and a yellow!

Always keep new fowl quarantined! You never know what they could have or could be carrying! Also I believe there was a saying that for each roo there was supposed to be 7 hens? If that’s true you might want to separate the roos or get some more hens. If they get all hen aggressive it could lead to serious injury or even death in some cases! Good luck!

Always keep new fowl quarantined! You never know what they could have or could be carrying! Also I believe there was a saying that for each roo there was supposed to be 7 hens? If that’s true you might want to separate the roos or get some more hens. If they get all hen aggressive it could lead to serious injury or even death in some cases! Good luck!
**Update i just realized this was about pigeons. Ignore the second half but the first point holds true. They should be quarantined

The hopeful husbands to be-
20180825_124831.jpg
youngest boy Tofu
20180825_124800.jpg

Waffles, brother to Coffee( Fj's mate)
20180825_124747.jpg

Toast the smallest of the boys
And Fj & Coffee(who for some reason prefer a cat bed over a actual nest box...o-o)
20180825_124715.jpg

@coltgrizzz thanks for your concern either way :) do you know if there's a difference on quarentine length? My chickens are always quarentined for a month minimum but this is my first time bringing in new pigeons
I would say 1-2 months. I always quarantine my chickens for 2 just to be extra careful but I’m not that certain on pigeons. I would assume the same time?

@coltgrizzz thanks for your concern either way :) do you know if there's a difference on quarentine length? My chickens are always quarentined for a month minimum but this is my first time bringing in new pigeons

I would say 1-2 months. I always quarantine my chickens for 2 just to be extra careful but I’m not that certain on pigeons. I would assume the same time?

@Hokum Coco and @LamarshFish can probably give you advice on the time for pigeons.

My impression is that pigeon fanciers isolate for 2 weeks or less. Just the stress on the immune system of the travel and the new loft can cause a bird to experience coccidiosis, so i'd be prepared with some amprolium just in case.

I hope your integration goes seamlessly and I hope to see pics of the ladies when you have them. How lucky for your bachelor birds.

I will say although I haven't brought in any outside birds, I did have a feral fly-in - no way to observe quarantine in that case. I just put him out and he hasn't returned.:confused:

Good to know :) luckily all out derails live in town at the docks except a single flock of 4 who fly at the edge of town I doubt the theyd follow any of my birds the 1.5 miles back though. I'm right in cooper territory DX luckily he prefers mourning doves and Robins

Back
Top Bottom