Having free range chickens and a dog.

Poorchickens

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new here, I live in Sydney Australia and although I grew up in the country, I'm forced to live here for my job. I had 4 laying chickens in my back yard for a couple of months living in perfect harmony with my large dog until one day she killed all them for no reason.
What I'm wondering is if the is a shock collar available which I can put small transmitter on the chickens themselves so that if my dog goes near them she gets a warning and then a shock if she doesn't back away?
I think this would be perfect for training her to stay well clear of the cooks, she is a very smart dog but is obviously a predator and can't control her primal instincts at times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

Hello and welcome from Kentucky. We're very happy you joined! I'm not sure about shock transmitters for chickens. I've never heard of them. but not saying they are not out there It's a great idea! Maybe someone else might be able to help you with that. They do make an electric poultry netting fence for chickens which is very portable. That might be a good solution for you.

Not sure on that. would be kinda neat, but I would hate to be the chicken if it failed! My Springers would have a field day for sure! lol
Welcome!!
LL

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your loss. I like Red Barn Farms idea with the electric fence. I think that can work. Good luck!

I am new to the site too, with chickens as well.

Have patience with your dog. It truly is a matter of communication; if you have trained your dog to respond (without fail) to basic commands, you are way ahead of the game.

It's going to take time and lots of effort on your part, but if you are consistent, acclimating your dog to your chickens can happen. I am proof of that.
I have two "bird" dogs, both who have full instinct to hunt bred into them. I knew it was going to be a challenge for me to desensitize them to my chickens - it took 4 months (it probably could have taken less, but I was chicken- if you'll pardon the pun) but I can now confidently say, we are a success!

Oh yeah, did I say be consistent? Definitely your key to any training success! My advice: Everyday, several times a day if possible, take your dog out on a controlled lead. Spend some time around your chickens with your dog. Try to refrain from reprimanding your dog, ever. Always praise when the appropriate behavior is being demonstrated (this can never be understated).

If your dog is lunging at your chickens, just use distraction (treats work real well here) or change your course of direction with your dog. It can seem like you are going in circles constantly at first, but soon your walk will become more casual and relaxed. Don't draw attention to the chickens by pointing to them, etc.- pretend to your dog that you don't even see them; it's all about just you and your dog.

Hope that helps, good luck to you!

Hi there, I have 5 dogs all of whom are very sweet with the chickens. There are never any problems. I trained them by using an 8ft long leash and left it connected during training periods. Each dog was rescued and then introduced to the household, cats and chickens. It took a few firm commands and jerks on the leash for them to get the idea. Then I let them free with the chickens and cats etc. under supervision. I was able to step on the leash if there were any problems. It worked great. Each of them understood and I never had any problems. My dogs range from an Akita/Shepherd to a terrier and border collie. All are sweet with the chickens, goats and cats. The Dalmatian washes the orange cats only, and they sleep curled up in his arms on the sofa. Very sweet. Good luck, Ruth

Hello! I am also somewhat new to this site. I have been pondering getting a Labmaraner which is half lab and half Weimaraner. I've always wanted a Weimaraner but now that I have the chance to get one I'm concerned about having him with the chickens and turkeys. Anyone have any experience with this breed of dog? The puppy is only 6 wks old so there is plenty of time to train, but they are known as being high energy as well as bird dogs so that concerns me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom