Having My Chickens Has Really Helped!

MagsC

Queen Of Clueless
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
For anyone who doesnt know, I have leukemia, now in remission.
My girls said I look better now than I have in a long time and they think the fact I have my chickens (and ducks and geese,lol),incubating, caring for them etc. has helped my attitude towards my sickness and in turn they believe it is part of what helped me go into remission. I dont know about that, but I DO know, having something else to focus on, other than not being well, is a great thing.
smile.png

I'm very glad you're in remission and I completely understand the calming affect your chickens have on you. They are precious little things and they are the light in my day, too (in addition to my awesome hubby).

I see now what people mean when they say something is "good for the soul". When I got into chickens again I was terribly depressed, they have very definitely changed my life.
smile.png
smile.png

I fully believe in the therapeutic benefits of animals. I remember when my grandmother had her stroke back in 1993. Part of the therapy the hospital offered was to bring in cute, fluffy little puppies and bring them around to the patients' rooms and let them snuggle and pet them. My grandmother's face would just light up each time the volunteer would come in with that puppy. Even though my gran was never much of a pet person, she would try to wrap her arms around the little fluff butt and let it kiss her. It was great. For me, suffering with depression, holding one of my dogs, or going out and sitting by the chicken coop and watching my chickens play raises my mood every time. I too find owning chickens to be wonderful, and my birds bring me great happiness. I even got my mother to bring a chair out and come sit by the coop this afternoon and watch them. My mother is a couch potato. If she's not sitting on the couch watching DIY shows or criminal investigation programs, she's sitting on the computer playing solitaire. She just does NOT leave the house. She's the closest thing to a spinster I've ever seen, lol. But I love her. So for her to come outside, without being asked, it was a HUGE surprise for myself and my kids. And she sat for almost an hour with me watching the birds sunbathe (which is so funny since they look so silly doing it), and it was funny cause they all wanted to sit RIGHT NEXT to grandma to do it, lol, and watch them play tag and keep away with various goodies they found in the grass. She was laughing and trying to pick up a couple of them. My Sexlink roo Poachy even jumped up onto her chair to visit her, which delighted her since she absolutely loves him. The birds haven't seen their grandma's face in about a month, but it was like they had never forgotten her. I also catch her snuggling the chicks I have in a brooder in the bathroom. She talks to them and pets them every time she goes in there, or even if she is just passing the bathroom she stops to pet them. She is always much calmer and peaceful when she has either chick or a cat around her. I wish you luck in your recovery and I will say prayers that you do not relapse. Keep lovin on your chickens, cause I KNOW it is helping. God Bless.
smile.png

That is wonderful news. Everytime I read something that helped a cancer patient, I wonder if it could have helped somebody I was close to....anyway.
I always wonder why animal therapy does not get as much recognition, and why people are so surprised that it works! I volunteer with hippotherapy sessions, with mostly autistic children. I have seen one girl go from biting and clawing everything in sight, to patting "Pony"(A Norwegian Fjord horse named Vin, but that seems to be a little much for her, lol), giving him a carrot, and even recognizing me! All within a matter of months. And all we do is walk around on the horse, and ask her to make decisions, or observations, or do little chores, like put on the saddle, fetch the girth, and brush the horse. She still has her bad days, but don't we all?

Back
Top Bottom