Having progressive pictures to help ID chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chookies rox - I agree, I believe you have Red Sex-link (also known as Red Stars). I love the Sex-links as they were specifically made to produce a high number of eggs.... mine sure do and they are usually very friendly.

Here's a couple links to feathersite to show you the differences:

New Hampshire:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/NH/BRKNH.html

Red Sex-link:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Thankyou for your pictures. I'm going to be going through all of them this weekend to see what we have and what we still need.

I am curious. What is the progress of the ID section? This section was created 2 years ago in May. How close are we to having a completed work? This is not an indictment LOL was just curious on the progress?
smile.png

Gate

Gatekeeper... Actually the first thread talking about this particular Chicken ID section was last June. Several people have been working behind the scenes on this. We've found out that we needed far more picture storage so Nifty has done an excellent job getting that together for us. Fall and the holiday season was really busy for everybody so things slowed down during that time.

We are just getting revamped up and getting things going again. I'm hoping to see some pages available in the next couple of months. But, we'll see.
smile.png

Ok - this little post is just for me so I know how far I've updated. All the pictures thus far, have been added to our doc.

Okay everybody, I'm jumping back into this to help where I can.

A HUGE thanks to those that are organzing this (especially Chirpy for her patience and contstant communication with me) and of course to everyone that has participated with ideas and pictures!

The biggest challenge right now is organizing all this information. Here is an idea that I sent to Chirpy in and email and I'd like to get the group's feedback:

We can go through all the pictures and save them to a folder on BYC. Then I'll install the program I used here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/images/gallery/

It will automatically sort in alpha order all the pictures and automatically create thumbnails.

This will make is easier to see what we have and don't have and will ensure we have the pictures on BYC instead of on individual photobucket accounts, websites, etc.

To help us keep this organized and to allow the program to sort the pictures correctly I think we should use this naming convention:

Breed-size-color-sex-age.jpg

Age will be in the format of 00 (egg) 001 (one day) 01-16 (1 - 16 weeks) and MM for mature.

So, example:

Ameraucana-Standard-Blue-Pullet-03.jpg
(a three week old female blue regular sized Ameraucana)

What do you think?

I think its a great idea. And if you need more web space to house the pictures, I am willing to put up some eggs for sale with the procedes going to the site.

Gate

That's a nice gesture Gate, but we'll take care of it. We just need our wonderful members to ban together and take great pics and help organize them. That's really where the hard work and value to the community lies.

Hello Nifty. Now this project is one I would be willing to put effort into.

I would however like to include the guinea fowl in keets to hens and roos.

Is there a possibility that you could set up a "USER", a NON person that every one could go to and put their pictures in ?

This way there would only be ONE BYC page to deal with and people could PM this "user" with pictures of their birds. The pics could be stored in that users area and you and the moderator would be the only ones that could add and delete pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom