Having Trouble Recognizing My Chicks and What They Are?

Nemo Reyes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Sanford,North Carolina
I Have 8 chicks and 2 are orange colored chicks plus i also have a yellow one and 5 black well ive heard that when they are born and they begin to develop feathers you can recognize the chicks by their tail feathers. Supposely if the tail feathers grow long when theyre small theyre female and if theyre short their males. If You need pictures just reply.
thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't go sexing chicks by their tail lengths at that early of an age. I know a person who swears by this method, "she can sex any bird at two weeks of age by the tail growth". Then she turns around to ask what sex we think they are. It has turned out that most the ones that she picked out (using this tail method) as pullets have turned out to be roosters.

I go by comb/ wattle color and development based on age/ breed. Around 3 to 4 months old most roosters start to get the male sex feathers (saddles and hackles).

As said above pictures would help.

I wouldn't go sexing chicks by their tail lengths at that early of an age. I know a person who swears by this method, "she can sex any bird at two weeks of age by the tail growth". Then she turns around to ask what sex we think they are. It has turned out that most the ones that she picked out (using this tail method) as pullets have turned out to be roosters.

I go by comb/ wattle color and development based on age/ breed. Around 3 to 4 months old most roosters start to get the male sex feathers (saddles and hackles).

As said above pictures would help.

X2. Yes, roosters are often slower-growing then pullets and may have shorter tails until they reach 14 weeks or so, but this is a pretty individual thing and there's no way to just look at a tail and know the sex. Sometimes you can just look at a bird and tell, depending on the breed--EEs, for example, can be sexed just based on feather patterns fairly young. We need photos and to know the age and breed of the birds if possible.

Back
Top Bottom