HAWK ATTACK INJURED ROO

Haihai

Chirping
Jun 15, 2017
I HAVE A ONE AND A HALF YEAR OLD SILKIE ROO THAT GOT ATTACKED BY A HAWK YESTERDAY WHILE FREE RANGING. I WAS IN THE FRONT YARD WHILE THEY WERE IN THE BACK AND I HEARD THE ROO’s EMERGENCY CALL... MY HUSBAND AND I RAN TO THE BACK AND MY ROO WAS FIGHTING OFF THE HAWK BY THE TIME WE GOT THE HAEK SCARED AWAY MY ROO WAS LAYING ON THE GROUND, SURE HE WAS DEAD I COULDNT LOOK. MY HUSBAND SAID HE WAS STILL BREATHING AND WE BROUGHT HIM IN THE HOUSE. HE HAD A BIG WOUND ON THE BACK OF HIS NECK AND WAS LIFLESS, I CLEANED HIM UP AND PUT SOME BACITRACIN CREAM ON THE WOUND AND PUT HIM IN THE BROODER WITH THE HEAT LAMP. HE IS DOING BETTER THIS MORNING, BUT MY QUESTION IS WHEN IS IT SAFE FOR HIM TO JOIN THE FLOCK AGAIN??

HE IS DOING BETTER THIS MORNING, BUT MY QUESTION IS WHEN IS IT SAFE FOR HIM TO JOIN THE FLOCK AGAIN??

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

How bad are his wounds? (photos)

It's hard to know when it's safe for him to rejoin the flock - a lot depends on the severity of his wounds, if he is able to eat/drink own his own, is able to move away/defend himself, etc. Only you can determine these things.

D1561415-F7E6-4F2B-AB41-4FFD605FC377.jpeg
D1561415-F7E6-4F2B-AB41-4FFD605FC377.jpeg
999FF20F-BF20-47D8-8F89-A7D9F3899DF2.jpeg
@Wyorp Rock he is crowing this morning eating ( I put him on a higher protein feed last night and drinking this morning) Photo’s attached

Attachments

• 97E923B8-2597-4768-BA01-6D7C6C80696A.jpeg
    97E923B8-2597-4768-BA01-6D7C6C80696A.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 1
You are very lucky that he was rescued before he was killed. Also because his skin is greyish black, his wound is not bright red, attracting pecking. Good that he is crowing and eating. Can he stand or walk?

Is your coop large enough where he could be in a wire crate with food and water, but still could see his hens? The biggest problem is to help prevent infection with the antibiotic ointment or antiseptic, and also to prevent the others from pecking at his wound. I would try him in the crate, offering foods such as his feed, chopped egg, liver, or tuna for treats. If you cannot crate him, make sure they are not pecking at his wound. Sometimes you can make a little tshirt to cover some wounds, to hide them.

Yesterday he was not standing he and both his eyes were closed ( I am a nurse so my training is only with humans) so I did the only thing I could think of and washed him up with antiseptic wash and bacitracin cream, I increased protein and gave him fresh melon this morning to help with hydration. I know I am very lucky I have never had a hawk attack before but I did notice the hawk is still circling this morning... I’m not letting the girls out of the coop.Our coop is pretty big 10x12 so I think the crate thing is a good idea.

Great catch!! Congrats on saving the beautiful boy.
I think he will let you know when/if he is ready to rejoin the others. Their healing ability amazes me. I interrupted an attack also. So hopefully he has no life threatening wounds. Some time to get over the shock may be necessary. And expect him to be a little withdrawn and more cautious attitude.

Yesterday he was not standing he and both his eyes were closed ( I am a nurse so my training is only with humans) so I did the only thing I could think of and washed him up with antiseptic wash and bacitracin cream, I increased protein and gave him fresh melon this morning to help with hydration. I know I am very lucky I have never had a hawk attack before but I did notice the hawk is still circling this morning... I’m not letting the girls out of the coop.Our coop is pretty big 10x12 so I think the crate thing is a good idea.

Is he able to eat/drink on his own and stand/move around?

Crating him in the coop is a very good idea, this way he is near the flock and you can still offer supportive care. If he is lethargic, he may need to be kept warm - you can use a heating pad, but will still need to monitor him so he doesn't overheat.

You have done well taking care of him. Chickens can go into shock just like humans, so getting him hydrated is important. Poultry vitamins in the water may also be helpful, look for one that has Vitamin E and B1, since Silkies are especially prone to stress and developing Wry Neck with injuries.

You have your wound care taken care of, just watch for the usual signs of infection.

I hope he recovers soon.

Back
Top Bottom