Hawk Attack - Missing Hen

My favorite location for tractor & run as it is easily viewed from kitchen window. Hawks like to perch on top of the bat box on the right as well as bush on the left where they get a clear view of the farm field behind the wall & the hens. Tractor & run will be moved to opposite side in a few months & eventually to other side of shed. The plan is to keep them in a cover cropped or unused area of the garden.

Don't understand how these hens can be so aware of danger at times & oblivious at others. The other day I was in the yard when one of the hens let out a squawk & they all ran for cover, The hawks were so high in the sky it took a bit to find them. Today I was in the kitchen I caught a glimpse of large shadow on the ground as a large bird landed in a tree in the side yard, no reaction from the hens. I went outside to find a Cooper Hawk in the tree, he flew to the Bat box, still no reaction from the hens. I don't understand, do the hawks lull the chickens into complacency before attacking? One of these girls would have been dinner already if not for the net.

I have lost 3 hens in 6 months! Each time it's when I can't get home to lock up the coop. There is no evidence of an attack, I just notice one missing each time! I want them to free range and feel bad when I leave them in the coop a day or more. They pace back and forth in front of the door until they are let out! What could be taking my RIR?

I'm glad it turned out alright.
We're nearly done with our coop and run and had 5 Silkies going out this weekend.
I had thought about allowing them to roam around our big fenced in back yard, but we have a huge population of large hawks and they are brazen.
Due to the Silkies having issues with seeing things coming from above, I think I've abandoned any idea of letting them out of the run.
Maybe we'll make a tractor we can move around to give them some variety.

Back
Top Bottom