Hawk Attack

I have been keeping chickens for quite a while. Losses to hawks has not increased appreciably in the last 30 years. Only increase I have noted occurred in years after DDT applications stopped.

Efficacy of roosters against Coopers not high when this time of year and when hens not breeding with rooster or with his offspring.

Otherwise the rooster is proficient at repelling Coopers Hawks. Even hens can do it when they have chicks. The hawks are strongly motivated to target chicks and they usually try to fly off immediately once it is caught and not yet dispatched, otherwise hen or rooster flogs hawk with at least a 4 to 1 weight advantage against a target that has at least one foot tied up holding another bird.

This stands for standard sized chickens that are mature and not encumbered by a lot of mutations typical of more ornamental of the ornamental breeds.
Ah, good to know. Beastie has little baby spurs at the moment, they are all almost 5 months old.

Well, being a huge nerd, I focused one of our Nest security cameras on the coop.... and perhaps another inside the coop. ChickenCam.

Wow! I’m going to show this to my nerdy husband -see if he will put a security camera out at my coop. ;)
He’s got some installed around the house and has seen me trip over my own two feet. :D

Glad you or your chickens weren’t hurt.

Dang! Your superhero name is obviously Hawk Puncher. :D

I had one a couple of weeks ago. No camera, but it would have showed me 1)flapping a firepit cover at it and 2)swinging a 2x4 like a baseball bat then throwing like a javelin (well, throwing). Bird looked at me like I was demented.

I wonder if yours got enough of a fright that it won't come back...

I just literally laughed out loud. :lol:

Too bad you didn’t get that on camera. It would have been worth watching. :pop

Wow! I’m going to show this to my nerdy husband -see if he will put a security camera out at my coop. ;)
He’s got some installed around the house and has seen me trip over my own two feet. :D

Glad you or your chickens weren’t hurt.
You should put one IN the coop. Best tv show I've ever seen...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 10.05.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 10.05.31 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
51060C0F-0910-4F47-AFB3-308919F5EBA6.jpeg
My girls just started panicing, squawking and pecking at the back door trying to get in the house - this was in the tree above my yard when I went outside to check. Dog (small dog) was outside and pacing behind the chickens waiting to be let in once the chickens let him through. Thankfully all are safe and accounted for. Will be spending rest of winter in the run until trees have leaves again...

Attachments

• 46660E82-1F28-42C3-956D-A4C089ED11A1.jpeg
    46660E82-1F28-42C3-956D-A4C089ED11A1.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 1199379 My girls just started panicing, squawking and pecking at the back door trying to get in the house - this was in the tree above my yard when I went outside to check. Dog (small dog) was outside and pacing behind the chickens waiting to be let in once the chickens let him through. Thankfully all are safe and accounted for. Will be spending rest of winter in the run until trees have leaves again...
Wow. I used to like seeing them until I got chickens. Yesterday, the flock wanted out really bad, so I followed them around with a 2’ long 2x4. I’m not playing, Mr Hawk.

Roosters are pretty BA when it comes to protecting the flock. This is the second video I’ve seen where a rooster was warning others and going back towards the threat. I wish I had room for a rooster.

Roosters are pretty BA when it comes to protecting the flock. This is the second video I’ve seen where a rooster was warning others and going back towards the threat. I wish I had room for a rooster.
We didn't order one. We ordered 6 hens and Meyers sent 5 hens and a rooster. I guess at a day old, it's very hard to sex them. Luckily, our neighbors like him and think it's cute.

View attachment 1199379 My girls just started panicing, squawking and pecking at the back door trying to get in the house - this was in the tree above my yard when I went outside to check. Dog (small dog) was outside and pacing behind the chickens waiting to be let in once the chickens let him through. Thankfully all are safe and accounted for. Will be spending rest of winter in the run until trees have leaves again...
Hahaha, I smacked one of those.....hahaha. I still have the vivid picture in my head of looking up and seeing a hawk in my face.

Back
Top Bottom