Hawk attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckaberry

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Media, PA
Hi all! New poster to this group. I was at a car dealership two days ago and a small dove was laying in the lot surrounded by feathers. The people who worked there said a hawk had attacked her and they scared it away. I took the little dove because I felt badly to have her die in a loud parking lot and thought maybe I could help her. I brought her home and cleaned her superficial wounds and upon examination noticed that her neck was badly cut. There were seeds exposed and what looked like a little bit of muscle.
I cleaned the would with saline and picked the seeds out so that they didn't start an infection. I, honestly, didn't have much hope for her, but now three days later she is still alive. She's feisty and alert and is very interested in my finger nails (they're painted). I think she is hungry, but I know the food won't stay in her neck because when I gave her some electrolyes they came out of her neck.
My question is, she's so tiny- how do I find where the injury actually is without causing her more damage. I have an extensive animal first aid area so am fine to operate or stitch her if need be.....
Any suggestions for my little dove? And just an aside, we do have a fantastic bird rescue nearby if you all think that is the best route too. Just wanted to do what I could myself if so.

Och, poor dove. Good thing you were there to help.

If her crop is torn and leaking food, I'd consider suturing it (similar to the procedure for treating an impacted crop) and applying a bactericide. You'll obviously need to try to identify where the laceration is to address it.

If you're unable to ID where the tear is or feeling uncomfortable about treating her, contacting the rescue would be a good idea. Best of luck!

Och, poor dove. Good thing you were there to help.

If her crop is torn and leaking food, I'd consider suturing it (similar to the procedure for treating an impacted crop) and applying a bactericide. You'll obviously need to try to identify where the laceration is to address it.

If you're unable to ID where the tear is or feeling uncomfortable about treating her, contacting the rescue would be a good idea. Best of luck!
Thank you so much. I'll bring home a large magnifier from work to try to help. Would you mind linking me to the info on treating an impacted crop? I'm pretty good with chickens, but doves are knew to me.

Please take her to a wildlife rehabilitator. They will be able to provide her with pain medication and antibiotics, as well as give her proper care. Doves are also protected under the Migratory Bird Act and it's against federal law to keep adults, chicks & eggs.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America, Europe and central Asia. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom