Hawk attack!

CrazyChicken360

Songster
Aug 16, 2020
Mass.
a hawk attacked today and killed almost all of my chickens. One is not dead but has been brutally injured around her neck I don’t know what to do please help!
IMG_0756.jpeg

a hawk attacked today and killed almost all of my chickens. One is not dead but has been brutally injured around her neck I don’t know what to do please help!
View attachment 3674846

i think so there is no blood leaking everywhere but there is blood, and it sounds like she is having a hard time breathing.
How is she?

I'd first try treating her for shock, give some sugar water or electrolytes, just a drop or two at time if you are syringing or better yet, hold a shallow cup up to her beak and see if she will drink on her own.

A bird in shock can show respiratory distress. Could be she's suffered injury to her airway.

Hard to tell the extent of the wounds on her neck due to the feathers. You'll need to inspect her closely, trim feathers away from wounds if necessary. Take more photos once you have it where the wounds can be seen more clearly.

Flush wounds with Saline, Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. For the eyes use Saline.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

I wanted to post an update, so the wounds all cleared up and it looked like she was getting better and started moving a lot more until yesterday she started getting worse again. She can’t seem to stand up for some reason, and she can’t seem to make any noise. She did start to drink a couple days ago, and yesterday I did find one green poop does this mean anything? I checked around her neck to see if there was some cuts but I didn’t really find any. Does anyone know what’s happening?

Two years ago, when one of my hens was attacked by a sparrowhawk, she was injured badly also on the neck. After cleaning up her wound and did whatever I could, I kept her alone in a small cage with water and food. The cage was set in a dark and warm place.

She didn't move, eat, or drink in the first couple of days, but she gradually recovered in one week time. If you can bring her to a VET for detailed examination, it might be the saftest solution; otherwise, let her stay in a safe and quiet place might be helpful.

Is she eating and drinking? Have you continued to irrigate her neck wound? There could be some internal injuries that were not apparent right away. How does her neck smell? Has there been any drainage or pus? Do you have access to an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online?) A vet might be best. If she seems to be suffering, it might be best to put her down.

Is she eating and drinking? Have you continued to irrigate her neck wound? There could be some internal injuries that were not apparent right away. How does her neck smell? Has there been any drainage or pus? Do you have access to an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online?) A vet might be best. If she seems to be suffering, it might be best to put her down.
There is no smell, she was eating and drinking a few days ago but stopped. She looks like she is in a lot of pain so I might just put her down. I’ll keep you updated if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom