hawk attack!

ladyfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
I heard a commotion outside and ran out to find a Red Tail Hawk on the ground holding one of my 5 month old Red Sex Links!! The hawk tryed to fly off with her but couldln't. Her neck is bleeding but not broken. She is very subdued just sitting on my lap right now. I'm hoping she is just in shock and not seriously injured!! I must say however that the hawk was beautifull!! She just needs to stay away from my girls!!

If the skin is torn and there is blood clean it out and put neo. on it, the reg. neo....NOT the one with pain killer. Keep her warm and make sure she is eating and drinking. If there is an open wound keep her seperated from the others until she heals. People on here say chickens heal really fast.

Ok I will clean it. She has been just sitting on my lap. I gave her water when I first brought her in. Thanks

i live in the country with alot of hawks. my secret is guines. if that is spelled right. i have had no problems since i got the guines. ihave 4 2 males @ 2 females. they have a loud mouth.

My chicks all ran for cover the other morning when I was outside with them. I was wondering what was going on and then I saw the hawk in the tree staring them down.
somad.gif
somad.gif

Thankfully they saw the hawk first. I am worried about one getting a hold of someone in my flock. I wonder if it's illegal to shoot a hawk.

Thankfully yours was not killed! I hope for the best for your little chicky.
fl.gif
fl.gif

It is very illegal to kill any bird of prey. Better to just house the chickens so that predators can't get them.
Ladyfarmer, I hope your hen recovers from t he attack.

Thanks Lynn for the info. I wasn't really going to shoot a hawk. Although they are causing a ruckus with my chickens I would never hurt it, it needs to eat too. Just hopefully not my birds.

we too have a lot of hawks here. We use pool noodles!! The kids run around like crazy kids waving them around and boy, they leave in a hurry!!
Trish

Oh thats good to hear! I know a person sure thinks about it sometimes, especially when you lose a pet to them. It's always such a hard decision to let them range or not because of the risk of predators. In comparison it's kinda like me letting my dog run loose and then when he gets run over blame the traffic. sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude if I came across that way...at time I'm a little frustrated with people that seem to think that because it's their pets that they have the right to life and other kinds of animals don't.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom